THAR SHE BLOWS !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

My water line to the toilet tank exploded this morning and filled the bathroom with 2" of water. I flushed walked out the door and BANG SWISH FOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHH !!! So I called Micchigan Plumbing due to the fact that I have a monster headache today and can't barely function ( I called in to work due to the headache )when I move around. Does anybody have experience with them ? They look very good and are rated very high on angieslist.com

Pete

I take two ibuprofen.

Ouch. I prefer acetaminophen. Easier on the tummy!

My water line hasn't frozen over once this year.... Kind of nice actually. Last year it froze 3 times, I was scared to death each time...

Pete, that's an awfully easy repair to do. Sure you want to pay a plumber?

Make sure you go back with a stainless steel braided line to avoid these kinds of issues in the future.

Pex & Sharkbites make for cheap, quick repairs.

Ya I do not want to mess with it because our plumbing is a mess!!!!! The house was a rental house so everything plumbing wise is non uniform to say the least. The water line that snapped was pvc glued to another pvc line run through the floor and then attached to a steal line from the 70's from the look of it. It snapped above the water valve but it was glued and had no screw section to unscrew and replace so it is looking like the water line under the floor needs to be replaced as well and so on and so on. I am gonna finally have to have a full plumbing estimate and see if I can just have the house re-plumbed! I have been getting everything to do it slowly but this is the 3rd water break in 2 months and I also discovered two other lines burst over the night also. Looks like I am gonna have to just bit another bullet and have it re-plumbed fully ugh :sick: I have almost everything to re-plumb myself with pex but the problem is I do not have the time to do it for a couple of months yet. At this rate my house will be floating down the maple river before I can do it :shut: I am sure my expression was something to behold as I looked at the pipes under the floor trying to figure it out :lol:

Pete

Thanks for the tips guys I really do appreciate it and don't mean to sound ungrateful to you. I may just take a couple days of vacation and rip the sucker clean of all the steal, copper, pvc, pex and who knows what else. I would be to surprised if there where bodies and drugs maybe car full of hooch under the floors too! :lol:

Thanks
Pete

Flush it with a bucket temporarily till you figure it out. As Hogwildz says; Sharkbites are the nuts!

Ehouse

Well my friends tomorrow is the pluming day for sure. They just gave me a 418 dollar estimate to fix the pipe (OUCH) so I said no and will I will live with no water because I have a wood stove lol. They didn't laugh ! I called the boss and said I will not be in he said ok take vacation time soooooooo plumber Pete and plumber Pete's dad to the rescue! We are gonna pex the house into the modern age of plumbing Woot

Pete

Hogwildz said:

Funny you should mention sharkbite. Now I do not like the idea of shark bite but one night I was repairing the main water line to the house in the basement. I was sweating in some pipes but needed one more ball valve. Well it was getting late and I went to Lowe's and all I could find in the 1/2" size at the time was a sharkbite ball valve. Well, needless to say it went in extremely easily and still works fine to this day!!

So even though I did not care for the idea, I must say they do work very well!!!

Don2222 said:
Hogwildz said:

Funny you should mention sharkbite. Now I do not like the idea of shark bite but one night I was repairing the main water line to the house in the basement. I was sweating in some pipes but needed one more ball valve. Well it was getting late and I went to Lowe's and all I could find in the 1/2" size at the time was a sharkbite ball valve. Well, needless to say it went in extremely easily and still works fine to this day!!

So even though I did not care for the idea, I must say they do work very well!!!
I have used them in a run from the basement to the addition. And also on a toilet emergency similar to Pete's. Repair took about 5 minutes if that. Still holds today.

I love the PEX and sharkbites. Fittings are a little expensive but saves a lot of time! I did a bathroom remodel and ran PEX to everything. Also replaced the old gate valve on the water entrance to the house with a ball valve. This should be the first thing anyone does when they purchase a house. I am confident now that I can shut off the water to my house. Good luck with a gate valve that's been installed for a long time!

I've had a sharkbite fitting on a hot water line (pex to copper) for over 4 years with no leaks at all. They work, and don't let the plumbers fool you into thinking its hack work either. They love them when they need them. I wouldn't do a whole house with them and personally have both crimp+expansion pex tools so I don't need them- till I need them. However, for temp work they are the nutz (awesome for pressure testing) or for exposed transition joints they do come in handy.

There was one time I was sweating an elbow under the floor for a toilet valve when I almost burned the house down. I had a heat shield kinda stuck up there but some cobwebs/dust in the 120yr old house caught fire and puffed up till it grabbed hold of some tar paper sticking through the backside of the sheathing and then REALLY got the draft going up though the balloon framing when it hit a bird nest or something else. Luckily the hose was right outside and I had the bulkhead open for some light. I ran outside, grabbed the hose and started squirting up into the wall cavity. Steam was pouring out of the attic eaves by the time the fire department showed up, but it was out.

They hacked a hole in the outside wall for good measure, more likely to teach me a lesson.

I've seen where embers smoldering in a wall cavity took off 6 to 8 hours later. The FD did the right thing.

billb3 said:
I've seen where embers smoldering in a wall cavity took off 6 to 8 hours later. The FD did the right thing.

+1 . . . We would much rather do a little damage now . . . then to have to come back to find a whole lot of damage later with the whole building on fire.

Besides . . . we like using our axs.

billb3 said:

+1 . . . We would much rather do a little damage now . . . then to have to come back to find a whole lot of damage later with the whole building on fire.

Besides . . . we like using our axs. Chicks dig guys with axs . . . or Fiskars. Or Quads with his splitting maul with his name on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.