The 13 NC is in the house!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
Out with the Englander 12 in with the 13!!! The new stove is not installed yet but will be this weekend. I have been searching the site looking for any and all info about operating the 13. I read Kathleen's posts and I have decided to take my pet parrot, Freeway to my mom's for the break in fire period. I did not take him there for the break in of the 12 because he is located in the opposite part of the house and the fumes did not reach that area, but after reading the posts here about birds and the fumes, I decided he will go on vacation for a few days. I am nervous about the transition. I feel like I just learned the 12 and now have a learning curve. I have learned so much on this forum!! When I first read about "smoke dragons" I thought it was a brand of stove. To my dismay I own one!!!
I appreciate any other tips anyone has for me. I have searched the site regarding the operation of the 13 and I think I understand how differently it works from the 12 but I am nervous. Thanks to all for the informative postings!!!!! Dennis, I enjoy all your posts and good luck on your hip replacement!!!

Welcome to the forums, and the NC 13 family, GR :)

We are here, we are here :)

Gamma Ray,
Welcome to the Hearth. Friends of ours have a 13 and like it.
Quite a few here that have that stove. I hope it works well for you.
Don't forget to post pics. :coolsmile:

Here's yer shirt. Enjoy that stove.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 263
I promise pics or it did not happen!! Thanks for the encouragement!!! I will make my husband proud!!!!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the 13 club!!

I have a England NC30 that replaced a large "Smoke Dragon" and an England NC13 that replaced a old small "Cat" stove. The learning curve for a EPA non "Cat" stove is fairly steep. As been said many times on this site "seasoned wood". The England stoves allow the door to be safely latched in a slightly open position while starting the fire and reloads, as you will find that the damper rod on this brand of stove has little effect. On start up, let the fire get going for a good amount of time and don't be fooled by the the flames you will see as it is mostly off gassing of the wood and if the door is completely closed to soon, even with the damper rod fully open, the fire will die. These new type stoves want a "Hot Box" to work properly so you can't rush a start or reload.

You will find that the NC13 has a small fire box and needs allot of baby sitting (adding wood) and no over night burns but fire view of these stoves is great!

Nice stoves.

Welcom to club NC13. Great little stoves, once you start to learn how to operate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.