The best chain ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Oregon and Stihl the cost is about the same ($1/inch), so I go with Stihl. It seems to hold an edge a bit longer, IMO.

Reactions: quads
I use Oregon for cost, I buy from Amicks and pay about 14 bucks for my 20" chains.

Best for what?

I use Oregon and Stihl. I'd say the best one is the one that I have on the saw at the time. Provided they are sharp they both meet my requirements w/o a problem.

Matt

I noticed the stihl chain keeps an edge longer, especially if any dirt is encounter under some loose bark.

I am curious do stihl chains only work on stihl saws ? I have a poulan pro and an echo ! I am not in the market for a stihl saw though they are nice I love echo too much lol. That said I would run there chains if they are better?

Pete

Stihl RSC is what I use almost exclusively. Sometimes I'll use Stihl RMC for dirty wood.
I bought myself a RSC (yellow label) Stihl chain for myself for Christmas on the recommendation from members of this forum. The difference from the green label chains is very noticeable! When I need a new chain, I will only buy RSC. I have three green label chains. Two came with the saw and I bought another one before I knew there was a chain that would throw bigger wood chips and be easier to sharpen (the green label chains have two pieces of metal for the depth gauges, RSC only have one).

Reactions: smokinj
I own Stihl, Carlton, and Oregon chain in different sizes, skip and no skip. The Stihl chain is far superior IMO. We have a local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer. They only sell Stihl chain anymore. I challenged anyone running Oregon chain to try a Stihl. I noticed if I hit the ground briefly, Oregon chain often is dull. Stihl chains shake this off better.

Mainly Oregon 72 DP & 95V (semi chisel) for me. Stumbled onto a local dealer that sells them cheaper than when I was buying chains out of mail order catalogs or the web. I've used Stihl and Carlton too but it was to hard to tell if they really lasted longer. I cut mainly tree service logs from removal jobs and there is always some dirt, nails, or screws and no chain survives those without resharpening regardless of brand.

Been using Oregon 72/75 LPX full chisel & 72/75 JGX skip for 20 yrs.Nothing but praise for both.

I am curious do stihl chains only work on stihl saws ? I have a poulan pro and an echo ! I am not in the market for a stihl saw though they are nice I love echo too much lol. That said I would run there chains if they are better?

Pete

Saw chains are made to industry standards. Just match pitch, gauge, and number of drive links (usually stamped on your bar) and you're good to go.

Thanks for the input guys I will try a stihl chain next time. We have a stihl & Echo dealer not far from where we live. My friend is a husky dealer and only has Oregon chains I tried Carleton and was very unimpressed with them.

Pete

I bought myself a RSC (yellow label) Stihl chain for myself for Christmas on the recommendation from members of this forum. The difference from the green label chains is very noticeable! When I need a new chain, I will only buy RSC. I have three green label chains. Two came with the saw and I bought another one before I knew there was a chain that would throw bigger wood chips and be easier to sharpen (the green label chains have two pieces of metal for the depth gauges, RSC only have one).

Stihl makes both RSC (Full-Chisel) and RMC (Semi-Chisel) chain in yellow labeled versions.

I always buy skip-tooth/round-bit chains from my Stihl dealer.

I presume it's Stihl chain but I have no idea about the nomenclature. . .

Look on the tie-straps of your chain Redd, if it says Stihl.... or the drive links will have a groove in them for oil.

Pete

Stihl makes chain in sizes to fit many, many saws, even sizes that they themselves no longer use.

Stihl RSC or RMC . . . I forget which it is . . . all I know is there is a big difference . . . and the local Husquavarna dealer recommends the Stihl chain to its customers even though they no longer carry Stihls.

Another vote for Stihl chain. They hold their edge very well. I go for full comp, full chisel. Not sure what Stihl lingo that is.

I'm also a big fan of Stihl brand files. They seem to cut better and last longer than the others I've tried. Yes, they do cost more, but they last a lot longer too....so it is probably cost neutral and they make filing easier.

Oregon Chisel Chains. +1 on cheaper price than Stihl at $11 per chain for me off Bailey's. I broke a couple worn out stihl chains but I've never broken an Oregon chain. And by broke I mean a link came apart.

Best chain to me is the cheapest I can find on the 100' roll. Regardless of brand I do use alot of square grind though. For the average guy one roll and the tools could last a long time. I keep my eye for deals on Ebay. Bought the tools from Baileys.

Local guy has a sale on Oregon right now for a buck a bar inch. Going to grab up a couple on pay day. I agree that Stihl holds an edge better, but I think Oregon hand bombs easier when in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.