The cheap(er) hearthgate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
I've priced hearthgates to surround my wood stove. New on amazon, they run around $180. Used on Craigslist--$125. My 15 month old already walks by the wood stove and says hot--so I think she is figuring it out. However, she only has one speed--full on. I am worried she is going to take a digger one day while running past the stove and fall right into it. Therefore, a hearth gate is a must in this house.

Anyway, I went to HD and found these sections of railing--in 4 and 6 ft sections. Which is the same size as my hearth. I paid $50 total for three sections. I drilled holes top and bottom where they overlapped in the corners and bolted them together. We'll see how it works.

Attachments

• aug 030.jpg
    aug 030.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 482
Looks quite nice - how about a close up of the corner(s)? I'm curious to see how the joins worked out there.

Also - did you attach it to the hearth pad and/or wall in some way or is just sitting there?

Always looking for ways to save a few $'s and improve on things...

Looks nice too, just concerned about the corners facing us in the pic, could a little guy or girl squeeze through that? I am one of those guys that not only bought one but two hearth gates for 180 a pop. I have one for my wood stove and another for my gas freestanding stove. It was a hefty price, but I love the small door/gate feature on mine that opens and locks really well, saving me from banging my ankle or foot when I used to climb over the gate to load wood.

But you saved a nice amount of cash and it looks pretty slick :) Bravo!

Slow1 said:
Looks quite nice - how about a close up of the corner(s)? I'm curious to see how the joins worked out there.

Also - did you attach it to the hearth pad and/or wall in some way or is just sitting there?

Here's a pic of the corners up close...pretty basic. I overlapped them in the front--which means the 4ft side sections are raised up (1")in the front resting on the 6ft front section. But the back's of the side sections are resting on the hearth. I bought some clamps to attach the side-rear to the wood hearth trim but haven't installed them. Doing that would keep the whole thing from tilting forward. However, once I put it together, the weight of itself pretty much keeps it from tipping. It wasn't designed as a jungle gym and certainly isn't 100% baby proof, but that wasn't my goal. And yes, she could probably climb through the openings at each corner. But again, the goal was simply to keep her from taking a digger face first into the stove.

Another design I saw in a bike magizine--a guy zip tied old bicycle rims together (vertically) and wrapped them around his stove. I needed something a little more "beefy".

Slow1 said:

Here's a pic of the corners up close...pretty basic. I overlapped them in the front--which means the 4ft side sections are raised up (1")in the front resting on the 6ft front section. But the back's of the side sections are resting on the hearth. I bought some clamps to attach the side-rear to the wood hearth trim but haven't installed them. Doing that would keep the whole thing from tilting forward. However, once I put it together, the weight of itself pretty much keeps it from tipping. It wasn't designed as a jungle gym and certainly isn't 100% baby proof, but that wasn't my goal. And yes, she could probably climb through the openings at each corner. But again, the goal was simply to keep her from taking a digger face first into the stove.

Another design I saw in a bike magazine--a guy zip tied old bicycle rims together (vertically) and wrapped them around his stove. I needed something a little more "beefy".

Attachments

• aug 033.jpg
    aug 033.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.