The dealer will not install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
I posted a while back and have decided to install a Quad 7100 fireplace. I, like many of you, live in an outlying area and none of the dealers will install 40 miles from there store. I have not yet offered a premium rate but may ask.

The insurance company is fine with installing the unit as long as the flu is UL rated (no problem) and the setup is professionally installed by a licensed and insured installer. I may be able to get a carpenter to install but seems a bit out of a carpenters skillset with the chimney, fresh air connections etc.. I could be wrong. None-the-less, I could see the cost surmounting if I hire a contractor.

Has anyone run into this issue? Any one hired a contractor to perform the work? I would do it myself but the insurance company will not allow. I wonder if I could do the work and pay a contractor/dealer to inspect and draft a letter of approval/acceptance?

I posted a while back and have decided to install a Quad 7100 fireplace. I, like many of you, live in an outlying area and none of the dealers will install 40 miles from there store. I have not yet offered a premium rate but may ask.

The insurance company is fine with installing the unit as long as the flu is UL rated (no problem) and the setup is professionally installed by a licensed and insured installer. I may be able to get a carpenter to install but seems a bit out of a carpenters skillset with the chimney, fresh air connections etc.. I could be wrong. None-the-less, I could see the cost surmounting if I hire a contractor.

Has anyone run into this issue? Any one hired a contractor to perform the work? I would do it myself but the insurance company will not allow. I wonder if I could do the work and pay a contractor/dealer to inspect and draft a letter of approval/acceptance?

How would you explain that this would be a bit out of a carpenter's skillset when there are many, like myself, who are not carpenters but still do our own installs? You very well might also find a carpenter who would do the job at a lower rate than the stove shop charges.

btw, I had forgotten but there was one stove we had that I did not install myself. I was working some long hours at the time so hired a local carpenter to do the job. He did a fine job too.

A good detail oriented carpenter or contractor can do the job. These installations are common in new houses. Just be sure you get a competent installer and make clear the specifications, who is supply what materials, who is doing the wiring, fireblocks, etc.. Do it in writing so that all parties get a satisfactory result in the end. And be sure to request references and if possible, go see their other installations.

Statement was made more in regards to willingness than ability.

I have not asked around yet. In my experience, at least for the carpenters in my area, they like to steer clear from the specialty stuff. In todays market, maybe I will be surprised when I ask around. I hope so. I have done my own installs in the past also and a little craft combined with the ability to follow directions can go a long way.

If I remove the existing unit, uncrate and set the new unit, what should I expect to pay to install. The masonry is already set and there will be ampel space into the chase (this was the complicated part but I have this figured out).
Fireplace 1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. It is encouraging to hear that you have had success.

If you set the unit, then most of the work will be for the chimney. The carpentry work would be minor I would think. Follow through on Daksy's linked installers. They should make this a pretty straight forward process for you and you'll have their professional certification for the insurance company.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.