The disappearing art of hanging laundry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I lost track after 8 loads this week. All on the line. I will no heat tumble everything for a few minutes just to soften it up.

Evan

I lost track after 8 loads this week. All on the line. I will no heat tumble everything for a few minutes just to soften it up.

Evan
Had a break in the weather? I could do, maybe, 4 loads max on my line space. Hanging season encourages me to do laundry on a regular frequent cycle. When it's drier season, the dirty laundry can sometimes build up as my weather/line limit/hours of sun is no long a thought.

Had a break in the weather? I could do, maybe, 4 loads max on my line space. Hanging season encourages me to do laundry on a regular frequent cycle. When it's drier season, the dirty laundry can sometimes build up as my weather/line limit/hours of sun is no long a thought.
I can get one big load on the line at a time. We try not to let it pile up. Weather here is generally accommodating. Yesterday it was 75, 65 the day before and 60 before that. Light rain now, and 55 and sun tomorrow with the possibility of our first freeze. I could get two loads dry tomorrow if I had too.

Back to the art part. I have given up on clothespins as they just take two long. I can hang the load out in half the time if I just lay it over the line. Couple exceptions windy days, or late start when it won’t have time to dry otherwise.

I think you all are nuts and I rather do it with my electric washer and dryer or a gas one whatever...lol That's just too much fooling around and they come out stiff too...I like softness because I guess I am spoiled and had my share of old timey stuff. Heck as a young person I remember spending many hours doing laundry--hated it...lol old clancey

We have an indoor line that gets strung up down the hallway of our raised ranch. The clothes add humidity to the air in the winter and dry fairly quick in the summer with AC on. There's pollen and bugs to deal with outdoors so we keep the line inside.

I have a 1 piece Walls insulated coverals and bibs that I always hang dry in the basement by the woodstove after snow plowing on the tractor, feels so nice to put them on when they've been hanging, absorbing the heat for a few hours, same with my hats and gloves after skiing, hang them up on the ceiling pipe and there dry in an hour.

I bought 4 of these recently, at $5 each. I thought they would look cool and old timey while being functional. I was right.

I strung one in a straight line, and a second I suspended by chains from the ceiling as a square.

They about tripled our indoor laundry hanging capacity for this winter.

A third will hang from the ceiling of our cabin in the UP, again as a square.

This evening I was looking at the square I hung and realized that it should raise and lower with a pulley. Lower it, load it up with wet clothes, then raise it to get it out of the way. We have a 12' ceiling.

If I did that, I could even have two squares on one pulley; one above the other. T-shirts, socks and underwear (short stuff) could hang from the top square, long stuff from the bottom square. Even more capacity!

5068.png

Reactions: Mt Bob