The Door Came Off!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGuy

Oct 30, 2010
Davisburg, MI
I've found my first downfall with my New Pleasant Hearth wood stove. when I opened it up tonight the top of the door came unhinged! Suprised the heck out of me, but in the end it wasn;t a big deal as the hinge pins just slide in from the top, and the top one had worked it's way out. Simply (after grabbing some gloves!) lined it back up and slid the hinge pin back in.

Good that you kept your cool and no one got hurt. Tap down those pins regularly when they start working their way out.

I can't budge my pins. No idea why. Glad the door isn't crashing down on the hearth though. Geesh.

Sometime when the stove is cold, put some graphite on the pins. The motion back and forth works them out of the hinges.

BrotherBart said:
Sometime when the stove is cold, put some graphite on the pins. The motion back and forth works them out of the hinges.

Thanks. Will try.

BrotherBart said:

Yeah, I got a spray can of graphite at Lowe's or somewhere last summer and dosed the hinges of my stoves. Never had them so quiet [they were sqeaking pretty loudly]. I believe the can cost something like $3 and is enough to last me about ten lifetimes.

Thanks for the grafite tip! My hinges don't squeak, of coarse the stove is only a week old so I'm sure with time and no lubricant it would start.

Status
Not open for further replies.