The Earth Stove Model 102... is this strictly a wood burning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I haven't seen posts on this topic for a while, but BrotherBart tested some out and found they do a decent job for shoulder season heating when a lower, steady heat is desirable. There are some old threads on the topic.
Note that there are some poor pellet baskets out there that will burn up fairly quickly with regular use. Look for the heaviest one you can buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmancheno
I feel as though trying to burn pellets will require more effort then just making a small fire or doing a batch burn if the heat load is minimal

I feel as though trying to burn pellets will require more effort then just making a small fire or doing a batch burn if the heat load is minimal
Not really, dump in 10-15# of pellets into the basket, put a chunk of a SuperCedar or some pellet starting gel on top, and ignite. BB tried them out because he was becoming less mobile and could store some bags of pellets indoors. When my knee went out last year I was thinking I might need to get a pellet basket. It's a couple hundred feet to the woodshed, so this was looking like an interim solution. The main issue he ran into was cheaper baskets didn't stand up.

Anybody know about pellet baskets and pellets in a BK?

Okay or not?

There is a manufacturer in Fairbanks AK that makes pellet baskets to be used in wood stoves. The folks that have used them report back mixed experiences. All have stated the pellets burned faster than they "felt" they should. These are not scientists or engineers with equipment or data to validate their observations.

One person liked the basket used in a Princess 1006 because the glass stayed cleaner. Again, no real data to validate the claim.

I can state factually you would not want a basket that was painted or chemically treated as it could poison the combustor after repeated exposure.

BKVP

PS If you do move forward with trying this, please report back here with your observations and any data you can collect, such as i.e. lbs/hr consumption, deposits in firebox or chimney/cap, fly ash in combustor, ease of use and loading, increase or decrease in frequency of cleaning out of ashes etc.