The good book thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are so many good books out there. I just finished Mink River by Brian Doyle. It is one of the more unique and completely Northwest books that I have read. Currently, I am rereading Blue Highways, by William Least Heat-Moon. Caste, by Isabel Wilkerson, is a thoughtful piece. Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer was enlightening.

I have been slowly working through Braiding Sweetgrass, while jumping around on other things. It is wonderful.

A favorite of mine that may be right up the alley for a bunch of woods folk is The Forest Unseen by David George Haskell. I use chapters in it as lessons for my Biology students.

Reactions: begreen
"She Stoops To Conquer", by Oliver Goldsmith. An 18th century farce, similar in tone to some of Oscar Wilde or Gilbert and Sullivan.

"The Mandrake" by Niccolo Machiavelli; a 16th century farce.

Just finishing The Game You Played by Anni Taylor. Not high literature, but a very fun read. Sort of a "I know what you did last summer" tale, for anyone who remembers those 1990's movies.

“Whatever You Do, Don’t Run” and “Don’t Look Behind You” by Peter Allison. “Tigero” by Sasha Siemel. “We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families” by Philip Gourevitch, Lord of the Rings trilogy, “Complications” by Atul Gawande…I love to read so not sure how many to put down. 🤔

I'm about halfway through "The Silk Roads" by Peter Frankopan. A very fast moving, once-over-very-lightly 500 page view of an enormous area of history that is little known in the western world.

Reactions: EbS-P
Horse by Geraldine Brooks was a good read. What an amazing animal and story.

Recently read "Nuclear War" by Annie Jacobsen, one of the absolutely most terrifying books I've ever read, owed almost entirely to how well it's researched and how many experts contributed to the theme. It makes the aforementioned Matherson's "One Second After" look downright rosy, by comparison.

I've also become a big fan of nearly anything by Allen Eskens. The big trouble with finding any current author you really like, is they can't write nearly as quickly as we can read.

Reactions: EbS-P