the latest addition to my Stihl arsenal....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

OK so its not a chainsaw, but for 25 bucks I couldn't pass it up. Yes, 25 bucks!! Seller said it needed a new carburetor, all it needed was a primer bulb and a tune-up! This will come in handy helping clean up the chips and sawdust at the jobsite!

2012-04-269520-29-4395973.jpg 2012-04-269520-29-5695892.jpg

Cool Scott. They also do really well getting a dapm brush pile burning just don't get it too close.

Billy

Reactions: ScotO
That will get a fire going:ZZZ

It's not a saw, but a quality piece of equipment is always nice to show off, especially when you get it on the cheap.

That's a good deal. I love mine...

You'll be amazed at what you'll find yourself using it for. My most common uses are:
1. "Sweep" the garage and shop.
2. Clean off the mower after use
3. Dry the vehicles after washing
4. Clean out the bed of my truck after hauling stuff
5. Getting a brushpile going
6. Leaf clean-up

I would be a buyer to at that price!:)

Yeah it was a great deal! It is missing the air filter and air filter cover, and the end of air tube.....all cheap parts on the internet. I was prepared to have to get another carb for it because it was torn apart and missing screws and stuff, until I noticed it is basically the same carburetor as my polesaw and I happened to have an extra carb in the shop. Took the parts I needed off of the donor carb cleaned it up and rebuilt it, blower fired up on the third pull.

Scotty Overlife, you gave it life. The thing looks brand new, how old was the unit.

zap

You'll be amazed at what you'll find yourself using it for. My most common uses are:
6. Leaf clean-up

Don't forget 7. Light snow removal.

Yeah it was a great deal! It is missing the air filter and air filter cover, and the end of air tube.....all cheap parts on the internet. I was prepared to have to get another carb for it because it was torn apart and missing screws and stuff, until I noticed it is basically the same carburetor as my polesaw and I happened to have an extra carb in the shop. Took the parts I needed off of the donor carb cleaned it up and rebuilt it, blower fired up on the third pull.
Might want to check with your Stihl dealer. Mine always has some older stuff around that he lets me get parts off of.

Gary

Carbs for those are dirt cheap. On the order of about $30 for a complete unit. But sounds like you have it under control. ;) BG55 is/was a great unit. I've sold 'em to family! ==c But I dunno scotty, isn't that machine a bit new for you? After all it doesn't have reed valves OR points .........!!:p

Reactions: BrianK and ScotO
Nice, I have a BG85, Think the only difference is that the 85 can be converted to a vacuum. Used it a few times in that mode for cleaning leaves but it was slow.

You have to attach a bag to the air outlet, the inlet is hinged, swing it out of the way and attach the suction tube. Then the shoulder strap is almost mandatory because the whole configuration changes. I don't think it would replace a shop vac.

Have fun with the new toy.

Nice, I have a BG85, Think the only difference is that the 85 can be converted to a vacuum. Used it a few times in that mode for cleaning leaves but it was slow.

You have to attach a bag to the air outlet, the inlet is hinged, swing it out of the way and attach the suction tube. Then the shoulder strap is almost mandatory because the whole configuration changes. I don't think it would replace a shop vac.

Have fun with the new toy.

All three BG's are Vac capable, same kit. The BG85 has a bit bigger engine, dual anti-vibe handles, and has an astonishing amount of power for a lightweight handheld blower. BG65/85 are EPA category A engines (300hr emission rated?) which means they are built to last. BG 55 is a Cat. C (50hr?) I believe but longevity has never been an issue with that model. Plenty of them on commercial landscaper trailers.

6. Leaf clean-up

Don't forget 7. Light snow removal.

And #8 They work great for putting grass fires out! Just walk along the burn line blowing back into the burnt area, works like a charm. Have 4 of them on trucks at the fire station.

Status
Not open for further replies.