the latest Craigslist scam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
I happen to be listing a few things on CL right now, and I am seeing a new scam being used. This same thing happened on three very different items I'm listing.

It starts with a simple response to my ad such as "Still available?" with no contact info given.
If you reply, then they have your email address. I responded to two just to see how it would play out.

Several hours later, I got this identical email on all both, from a different email address than the first inquiry:

"I was told by my assistant that your item is still for sale ,i would have love to come and see it,but my scheduled is very tight.I will mail out your payment once you provide your full name.phone number and address.I can only pay via money order as am on a business trip now,pls let me know where to send your payment to because i wouldn't want to lose it to some else.I don't mind adding ($20) dollars so you can keep it in my favor,you should get your payment in 7-9 working days i will appreciate if you can get the ad off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor.Please let me know as soon as you receive it so i can start making arrangement for the pick-up.
Thanks"

The poor sentence structure and punctuation suggests a foreign scammer.

At the very least, they are assembling a database correlating email addresses with physical addresses and phone numbers. Not good.

Whatever their motive, don't fall for it. Don't reply.

I got the same thing on an ad here in New England. Since I was listing a $100 saxaphone I thought it a little odd that they would need an assistant to run erands for them. My address was already in the ad, (it was a tag sale) it was obvious that it was an automated email.

Yes, and odd that they can only pay by MO while on the road.
You're a brave man to put your address in your ad...

I have a home gym listed on CL. I got an email that said only something like "my wife wants to see it tomorrow". It felt like BS to me so I used my second email to respond and only asked the sender what time they wanted to come just to see if they were for real. After a couple more cryptic exchanges I got the guy's phone number. By the time I called him he was loading another gym that was for sale into his car. I probably missed the sale trying to avoid spam. I guess you can't win either way.

Yeah, it's a tough call. I find that, most of the time, a strong first bite usually results in a sale, and wishy-washy inquiries rarely do.

That is not the latest scam - it is the oldest...

Status
Not open for further replies.