The look on his face.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakside

Dec 21, 2008
White Mountains NH
This fall, I asked my firewood man to throw a log of birch in to my load of red oak. You should have seen the look I got. All he said was "Why?" I replied "I'll admit that oak is best, but I'd like to see other species." "What you need is nice piece of ash." He never charged me for the birch.

I went a craigslist scrounge that advertised a couple of large alders. I got there and they were paperbark (white) birch. I took some of the best pieces anyway. I will see how it burns. I think I would have rather had the alder but that could be a stance from ignorance.

t

TriTodd said:
I went a craigslist scrounge that advertised a couple of large alders. I got there and they were paperbark (white) birch. I took some of the best pieces anyway. I will see how it burns. I think I would have rather had the alder but that could be a stance from ignorance.

t

What kind of alder do you burn out there? I don't know much about alder, but white birch is good firewood IMO. It is ranked above red Alder on a couple BTU charts that I looked at.

Yeah I was surprised to see the btu chart for it when I got home too. Alot of the wood was really punky. I was amazed the tree hadnt fallen earlier. I will burn it and see. I am not really a wood snob anyway. The best wood is free and close to home.

t

yeah, that is one drawback to it, it rots fast if you don't split it right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.