The new toy just for the ATV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
28 Ton Husky (speeco) splitter. Has the 190 CC Honda GC motor. I need to get an exhaust diverter for it. There is also no throttle, it's either running full go or not at all. Full flow hydraulics all the time, nimrod proof IMO. 1450 cash price.

Looked hard at the 22 ton and 35 ton huskies too. The 35 ton was too heavy for the gf. The 22 ton had a briggs, which are fine.... but the honda matches the rototiller honda engine. Easy switch out if necessary.

I also have a 3 point tractor wood splittler. It's just a pain some days to unhook tractor from implement and switch to a splitter. GF doesn't want anything to do with the tractor. Too easy to grab atv and go split for an hour or two. Hooking up 3 point WS requires 4 hours minimum to be worth it. Some days that's unrealistic.

Thought I'd share.

In the background is a load of shagbark hickory to be split. Estimated 125 year old tree blew accross my neighbors yard. I told him to keep his insurance money and I'll get rid of it for free. 75 mph windstorm or call it a microburst that uprooted this monster.

The ATV is a 2006 Polaris X2, the dump bed transforms into a 2 seater. Heavy duty (1500 lbs), fuel injected, 550cc, liquid cooled and on demand 4x4. Nice! Wenches are worth their weight in gold BTW.

Attachments

• DSC01021.jpg
    DSC01021.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 603
  • DSC01022.jpg
    DSC01022.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 582
You have good taste there brother. Nice to have the toys...ER I mean tools. ;-)

Attachments

• plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 545
  • loggin.jpg
    loggin.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 566
Nice, Its good to have neighbors with Hickory

Nice Splitter, but I am more interested in the Quad. I almost pulled the pin on buying an identical machine yesturday but the price was a bit steep and I have not seen allot of reviews on that machine. The one I was looking at was a 2006 Polaris x2. Can you give me a little review?

How do you guys like the 2 up Polaris? I have a 2003 Wolverine right now. In the future, I'd like a big bore. I was thinking of going two up so it would be easier to take my wife for a ride now and again. On the other hand, I could always get one of those rear rack "seats" for a single seater.

RowCropRenegade said:
Wenches are worth their weight in gold BTW.

True, but when you get stuck a winch works a lot better. %-P

BrotherBart said:
RowCropRenegade said:
Wenches are worth their weight in gold BTW.

True, but when you get stuck a winch works a lot better. %-P

Yes, but a winch just doesn't fetch a beer like a wench.
Hopefully our X type members are familiar with Renaissance fairs. :)

Winch I should say. I thank the spell check police for setting me right. Winches and wenches are worth their weight in gold. :)

Nice X2 with the snow blade and visor on it. I waited an extra week because I wanted that color scheme. Maybe the same reason I went from the 22 ton red splitter to the 28 ton black splitter. Lol.
Here is another combination for it. Spray rig.

Review of the 2006 X2.

Positives: Fast get up and go. 3 modes for drive: turf mode (one wheel drive, less damage on grass REAL EASY TO TURN), 2 wheel drive, and 4x4. It does not have a locking differential. It doesn't require a locking dif because the 4x4 is on demand, it doesn't kick in until it detects slip. Never been stuck in it yet. Powerful. Pulled a partially loaded gravity bed wagon of soybeans across soft grass. The wagon weighed 11,000lbs. Fuel injected allows for easier starting in the winter, they don't offer the old style carb versions on the x2, which are harder cold starting. The dump bed/2nd seat is a handy feature. It will go 70 mph and is darn good in the snow and mudd. I've never taken it through water crossings. The worklight in the back is great and I rigged a relay in it for hitting the backup light switch to power a secondary 12v cable used for pumps and such. The lights on the front are the best in the market. The fuel tank is 6.5 gallons, which is huge! Fill it twice a year and probably run 150 miles a tank. It idles alot too.

Negatives: Checking the screen on the oil case is a groan. Changing the oil and filter is no problem. But the book recommends checking the screen, which is always clean. Took me 3 hours first time. The original battery lasted only 2 years. The dump bed inner sides could be heavier duty. The radiator fan only comes on when it's warm, but will shut off if you turn the key off. Which isn't a big deal. Just make sure to allow the fan to finish it's cycle before you turn it off. I took a safety class after I bought the rig and the instructor was a tester of ATVs in the desert out west. He said shame on Polaris for that screwup and made me take notice. So here is notice to x2 owners. I haven't bent the hitch receiver on it yet but I wish it was 2 inch instead of 1.

I gave $ 7300 and got the winch and helmet for free. Financed it through a 2.99% polaris credit card. Worked great. This same unit today is probably over 8k. I wouldn't be afraid of buying a used x2. Mine has 1200 miles but lots of idling so I guess it's worth 4500. Was my first atv and it's been damn good! 4 years and thousands of acres tested this unit and review.

Attachments

• DSCF0899.jpg
    DSCF0899.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 487
Thanks for the review! I didn't know that unit had the turf mode. That's really good to know. Solid rear axles do a number on grass when you make a tight turn.

Local dealer was asking $4800 for the 2006, it has 3800 miles on it. Thanks for the info. Something to ponder.

Another question I had was, do you often flip up the rear seat? Or do you typically just allow someone to hop on it with the machine in 1 up mode. I cant rellly see myself to bother flipping the seat very often, I really like the dump box feature.

Ya gotta haul what you split. ;)

24" splits on a 10' rack. About 16" high layer. One load.

Attachments

• atv_1.jpg
    atv_1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 428
  • atv_2.jpg
    atv_2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 438
  • atv_3.jpg
    atv_3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 420
I have an X2 and love it. I think mine is an 07. When I bought mine I got a 2 yr warranty and a winch with it. I only used the warranty the 2nd yr, the battery went and they replaced it no charge. I have used mine to haul wood, deer, bear bait, garden vegetables, gear into the woods, deer stands, kids, basically everything and it has never quit or got stuck.( I'm sure I could get it stuck if I tried) I have used the winch a few times to assist my traction. When I bought this I was looking at a Honda, and I'm glad I bought this.
Doug

My main wood getter as I work alone, and the one thing I dont like about mine is its hard to steer. I would have bought the 500 if the price would have been right as I am a bigger guy and this one sometimes doesn't have the power.

Shipper

Attachments

• 4x4 TBX.jpg
    4x4 TBX.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 288
Status
Not open for further replies.