The Niece came over !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I am surprised at how lazy kids are today ! When I was still at home we went outside and played split firewood had big fires climbed big trees then got terrified of coming down built forts out of trees and so on and so on. My Niece come over ( she is 13 ) today and wanted to just be away from home which is fine. She comes over and plops on her but on the couch grabs the iPad and starts playing games for a couple of hours! Then sits on the porch for an hour or so! I said you wanna help split firewood and she leaps too it all excited then 15 minutes in her back starts to hurt so she sits down and watches basically :D How can kids be so lazy these days when I was her age we raised all kinds of heck outside in the world ! I am astonished! The good news she wants to help next week so I told her I would make a man of her yet :D:p

Pete

During the day if I went and sat down every time may back hurt I wouldn't make it out of bed in the morning. I honestly think it's more the parents fault in some situations as it seems like many parents now days have no expectations for their kids. My 5 year old daughter even knows that everyone in the family is expected to carry their weight and she helps do everything from setting the dinner table to helping Mom dust the house to helping weed the garden.

Dad said the first things he remembers hearing after he was born in 1916 were 1.) A farmer just can't make a living anymore, 2.) They just don't make cars like they used to. and 3.) These kids today won't ever amount to anything.

Certified 106 you are right and good job with your daughter! As much as I love my brother and sister in law they just do not teach my nieces responsibility which is sad. My niece went home and told her mother she split firewood and I got a phone call stating how dangerous that is and that I was irresponsible for letting her help. This led to me laughing my head off and saying I love you guys but your a doofus ( click ). Sooo now I have a upset sister in law and a brother in law who thinks this is hilarious too! My niece said it was safe and there is no way I would let her get hurt. My sister in law said ok after my niece pestered her for an hour about it :D looks like she will be splitting firewood after all. BB I do not like how lazy she has become but I must say she is very very smart and I would not be surprised if she ended up a rocket scientist ! :D I just have to introduce her to the outdoors apparently as she has no motivation to go outside at home.

Pete

Grandson used to love driving the garden tractor whenever he visited. That's all he wanted to do. He'd start helping to stack, then end up sitting on the tractor.
None of the grandaughters have an interest in physical labor.
I'd whip 'em into shape if they lived here.......yeah, that's it, that's what would happen.:rolleyes:

I'm lucky so far... I had my 3 y/o helping me today I wish I woild have taken a video. She actuially split her own fire wood and stacked it herself... too funny.
My wife says: you let her run the slpitter? I said sure why not, I watch where she puts her hands. Shes very smart for 3, i'll tell ya'll that.

Reactions: certified106
Pete was she running the Ryobi or swinging the Fiskars? :) Your situation is far from hopeless, at least she wants to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.