The ongoing lack of customer service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Back in the end of August I went to the local stove shop to order a chimney connector heat shield for the Defiant, a 6" collar to replace the 8" oval, and 3' of single wall pipe for the 30.

I was told the order would be placed with their weekly orders and would get a call back the next day. After a week of calling them, the parts were finally ordered more than a week later in the first week of September.

"Everything should be in within three weeks"

So, the end of September?

"Yup."

This week I call, since we are now in the first week of October, to find out where my parts are.

"Well, I told you they wouldn't be in until the end of September."

Right. It's October.

"Would you like me to call to find out when your order will be in?"

Seriously?

I get a call back and I am told that they never ordered the heat shield or the 36" pipe and the 6" collar is no longer available.

Okay. After arguing about the existence of the 6" collar, I ask them to price out the double wall 8" oval to 6" round connector and how long it will be until it arrives.

They call back and tell me that connector is no longer available and can not be ordered. Even though I found the connector listed four times on ebay and listed on several other online stores.

In the end, I found a stove shop in upstate New York that had the heat shield and connector in stock. They even had the ability to order the 6" collar for the stove (which I was told didn't exist), but that would have taken another two weeks to arrive and I am now out of time since the temps are dropping on Monday.

This isn't the first time this has happened as the local Hearthstone dealer that I ordered my heat shield from was just as bad.

I don't get it. I am trying to support the local guy. I am just ordering parts. Nothing special. Minimal effort is needed on their end and that can not even be accomplished. This only strengthens my theory that it makes little difference if you buy a new stove and it matters even less if you buy a new stove from the local shop. I have visited many stove shops in the area, from Lopi, Napoleon, VC, Hearthstone, Jotul, etc. None of the shops inspire confidence in buying a stove from any of these dealers.

So, when someone posts about wanting to buy a stove, but are concerned about not having a local shop near by for service, I say; it doesn't matter and should not be a factor in your buying decision.

When you get to the point when you need service, or parts, or warranty support, or answers, good luck getting it from the local guy.

Know your stove, know how it works, and know how to do all the maintenance yourself. You will save yourself time, money, and hassle. Also, just buy your parts online.

Sorry about the runaround BrowningBar.....unfortunately I feel the same way about our local dealer:

My issue was that when they did the initial install, they left out some minor items such as the set screws on the bottom of the door and a few washers for the door handle....no biggie I figured.

I called them several times, and they said they would need to "order them"..I said, WTF I paid for them and you folks just neglected to install them when I had the stove installed for $3500. I'm not paying $$ for something you guys forgot to install.

2 week later I called for the parts, and they said "they don't have them in yet"...these are freaking washers and set screws.....can't you take one off the floor model? They will check on my order. A week later I call, and they "can't find the order...what was it that you needed" At this point I am livid....so, I drive down to their shop......wait about 45 minutes before someone helps me.....they ask me what I need, and I explain for the 5th time....2 set screws and 2 washers folks.....he looks in the part manual, and can't find a part number....I show him the darn manual I printed off along with the part number.....then they can't find it in the computer...ok, WTF folks....its a FREAKIN SET SCREW AND WASHER......at this point in time I walk over to the Lopi Model they have on the showroom floor.....I show him the set screws and washer on the floor model, and indicate I think it would be a very good idea if you take the parts of the floor model and give it to me.

So, after paying $3500 for an install, it took 4 phone calls and a 30 minute drive alont with 1 1/2 hours in the showroom floor to get what I had already paid for :)

Also, forgot to add....the set screws and washers were custom sized that Lopi does not provide the specs for, so I had made 2 trips to both home depot and lowes, and they did not carry the proper sized parts.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Obviously the two dealers described are not very interested in doing business. Makes me wonder what they are interested in? More importaintly, it would be great to be able to show a manufacturer just how a dealer is behaving and how they are representing them and their products. However, it also looks like some manufacturers seem to hide behind their dealers and not communicate with the public.:(

Obviously the two dealers described are not very interested in doing business. Makes me wonder what they are interested in? More importaintly, it would be great to be able to show a manufacturer just how a dealer is behaving and how they are representing them and their products. However, it also looks like some manufacturers seem to hide behind their dealers and not communicate with the public.:(

They want to sell you a stove. Already have a stove? Then they are not interested in offering you any service.

Don't even get me started on the selling techniques of the local dealers.

Reactions: daveswoodhauler
I called the BK dealer I bought my stove from for some parts. He couldn't even get me a price for a cat, let alone the other parts I need. He suggested I call BK to get the part numbers, then he could order them. Seriously? I did call BK to get the numbers, and was told to contact any dealer to order them. The parts would be drop shipped directly to me. I called two other dealers, gave them the numbers, was told they had to call BK, and they would call me back. Never heard from them again. Finally got some service on the fourth try.

I realize that there isn't much money to made from me for what I needed. I do know, however, who I will call in the future, and who I will recommend if anybody asks.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
I must be blessed, my local installed the VC did real nice job. Then I needed some parts for the pipe on the jotul
got them in less than a week. :)

Next stove I will purchase will be either a Woodstock or a mfg that you can obtain parts for vs going to a dealer....so I guess my next stove will be a Woodstock :)

"Well, I told you they wouldn't be in until the end of September."

Right. It's October.

"Would you like me to call to find out when your order will be in?"

Seriously?

;lol

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
Well, BBar, alls I can say is I sure hope that shop in upstate NY isn't my local shop. They're why I had no trepidation about going with Woodstock. Just sayin...

Well, BBar, alls I can say is I sure hope that shop in upstate NY isn't my local shop. They're why I had no trepidation about going with Woodstock. Just sayin...

Now I'm worried. Did they sell VC stoves? PM me the name so I can compare the name.

i think now would be a good time for me to chime in and mention that this is not always teh case with local dealers. ive seen several in action in this forum, as well as some i have met over the years. one should note that with a dealer based purchase , you arent just buying the product, you are also "buying" the support of that dealership, alway always try to get referrences prior to pulling the trigger . support the ones which provide good service, drive right past the ones who dont. just my opinion having been in the customer service business in the stove industry for more than a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.