The pictures & results are in from my blower door test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
A while back I did a blower door test on my house that was built last year. Guidelines call for/require 8 air exchanges per day. I had 12. I fixed a bunch of the problems, hopefully you guys can learn from my mistakes.

Blue is cold air coming in the house, red is hot.

Some pictures & what they are showing:

Behind this wall is an outside wall hung lamp. With a hole drilled to run the electric through. Easy fix - a little spray in styrofoam
530.jpg

This is showing an unsealed duct. The flex duct connects to the vent, but no tape was wrapped around it allowing cold air in.
548.jpg

Drop down stairs to crawl space with no gasket installed (how they come)
549.jpg

This is the most shocking to me. I have 20 of these in my house. They are completely covered with the blown in cellulose insulation and are the enclosed light recessed can units. The enclosure is worthless with just a few inches of insulation on top. It needs the full 12". I haven't fixed this yet, but plan to. The guy who did my test said they sell gaskets to fit in the light bulb part of the can. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get them? He said they are hard to find.
554.jpg

A window not very well shut and no caulk around the wood structure & wood frame
568.jpg

We never did figure out this one as this part of the house is actually underground outside.
566.jpg

Another unwrapped duct:
575.jpg

Moderator's - feel free to edit so the picture shows up in the post. I'm sorry, I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks, blower door tests are only going to get more popular. 20 years ago people weren't demanding home inspections like they are now. I asked for utility bills when I was negotiating home purchase four years ago - the owners 'conveniently' didn't keep them - much to my detriment now.

I had this test done two years in the dead of winter, maybe when it was 15 degrees out. I have plenty of trouble spots to keep me busy. If I recall correctly the calculated sq. in. of open space was around 177.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the test cost you? Or if you bought/rented the blower kit what did it cost?

I read this recommended book a couple years ago and maybe it's time to check out of the library again:
http://store.taunton.com/onlinestor...ulate-and-weatherize-bruce-harley-070649.html

Actually, that is a good deal at $10.

The going rate around here seems to be $400-$600. I had him do a bunch of other work for me so I don't know the cost 100%.

I just wish I had people there fixing stuff as he was finding it. I think we fixed most (all) of what I can, but we could have did the work then had him test the fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.