The platform for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyOf4

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2012
Southern MD
Our platform has been built for the CAB50 by our contractors and it is made of wood on top of carpeting. The platform will be tiled down using ceramic tile. Is this safe?

BTW, yes I am being a worry wart and will continue to do so for a VERRRRRRRRY long time. LOL. I've been screwed over too many times by multiple contractors since I'm the one talking to the them. I'm trying to lessen my hubby stress over home stuff.

IMO, the hearth (platform) itself should not be sitting on carpeting....it should be right on the bare floor, or sub-floor. If the surface the stove actually sits on is ceramic tile, that part is fine.

Reactions: hilbiliarkiboi
The stove will be sitting on the ceramic tile once the platform has been tiled.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 403
backer board. several different types

Attachments

• cementbackerboard.JPG
    cementbackerboard.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 225
Tile installer should do it for a few(20-25)$. Strips cut for sides. Fasten w/screws.
Flexibl.e bonding surface. Scratch it good with a utility knife, both sides with a straight board for guide, breaks easy.

I think I'll let the contractors do it. Last time I did a DIY project I stabbed my finger and didn't go to the hospital so that my husband didn't give me the "I told you so" look. lol

Reactions: smoke show
What would be the purpose of the concrete thing? Probably should have asked that first! HA!

New What would be the purpose of the concrete thing? Probably should have asked that first! HA!

"Hearth Pad Requirements (UL and ULC) Use a non-combustible floor protector, extending beneath appliance and to the front, sides and rear as indicated. Measure front distance "M" from the surface of the glass door" as outlined in your instructions plus the weight of the product on tiles alone, you may be asking for trouble. I would also be willing to bet there is some sort of code requirement as well on thickness of the pad. You also have to think about what the insurance companies may require for your homeowners policy. In this case more may be better.

I'm glad I asked this question! I'll definitely make sure they put it down. Phew!

The installation manual should tell you what is required in the way of a hearth pad or equivalent.

Durarock is a type of cement board, you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.