The Regency CI2600 & CI2700 operation thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Heizer

Nov 20, 2016
Michigan
After reading through all the blogs I decide to buy the CI2600 in October. Since then I have had several fires and am pretty happy with the burn time and heat output. I am wondering about the effectiveness of the air wash as my glass gets regularly quickly dirty with buildup once I close the damper. Even if I leave the air intake at full open. Does anyone have a similar problem or a suggestion?

my glass gets regularly quickly dirty with buildup once I close the damper.
Dirty glass can be the result of burning wood that is not optimally dry. How long has your wood been split and stacked, and what kind of wood is it? How big are the splits? Is it now top-covered for protection from the rain?

I am burning Ash ,Oak and some pine which has been seasoned for over a year and have it stored in a dry space. The moisture level of the wood is below 15%. The splits are about 16 x 4.

That sounds pretty good; 4" splits should dry quick. I assume you tested the wood (the Oak mainly, other should be good) on the freshly-exposed face of a re-split?

Once you get to burning hot fires 24 hours a day it will start to clean up or just open the air a bit more.

Once you get to burning hot fires 24 hours a day it will start to clean up or just open the air a bit more.
Thanks Wolves1.
The last days I did continuous burns resulting with the same effect. The following is after last nights burn where I had the air 1/4 closed. The left corner is worse the right (viewing from the below side). I need to scrape the buildup off as you can see.
20161124_072315.jpg

This morning I build a new fire after completely cleaning the glass (which I now am pretty good at :) ).
After 2 hrs I am getting this again, starting in the same corner and also building up on the other side. The catalyst is engaged and I have 950F.
20161124_091531.jpg

I really have some concerns about the air-wash as this should prevent this, or not?
Anyone else experiencing this with the CI2600?

This stove is like a Ferrari it doesn't like to run slow not that I own one just rented one for a day. Once you start filling the stove with wood any where from 7 to 9 pieces and the air 1/2 to 3/4 closed that glass will clean up.

This stove is like a Ferrari it doesn't like to run slow not that I own one just rented one for a day. Once you start filling the stove with wood any where from 7 to 9 pieces and the air 1/2 to 3/4 closed that glass will clean up.

Will the glass be any more difficult to clean if the stove is allowed to go cold between burns and is not cleaned before the next burn?

Also how big are your splits? I can't imagine fitting 7 to 9 pieces so I'm wondering if I didn't split small enough.

3 to 4 inch triangle shape if you have bigger splits just put as much as you can fit. Start with a few pieces when you have a hot bed of coals then fill it with your second burn. Most times if you let the fire die down you'll get some blacking of the glass.

I think what I am seeing is the blackening of the glass during the coaling stage with the air shut down. Will the next fire tend to clean the glass if it is a hot fire (even if the insert is allowed to fully cool between fires)?

That usually works. Give it a try.

No problem. Thanks for helping folks out learning this insert.

Reactions: griam01
Hi Folks, New to the world of wood stoves... thanks for all of your advice so far. It's been very helpful. The CI2600 caught my eye (my wife's eye for looks and mine for the stats for burn time and square footage of heating)... I haven't bought it yet but I've been reading about it for about a week now.

My question is about the Catalytic converter...

1) Does it take much sitting around and watching and waiting to engage it? Does this stove require more monitoring than something else like a Pacific Energy Neo for example? I read the manuals for both and I'm curious if I'll have to babysit this stove more than another type?

2) What if I don't engage the converter and we leave the house for work? Will my burn time suffer terribly? I really want to set my wood stove and forget about it as much as possible throughout the day as our house sits empty from 7 AM until 3 pm regularly.

Thanks everyone for the help already!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks, New to the world of wood stoves... thanks for all of your advice so far. It's been very helpful. The CI2600 caught my eye (my wife's eye for looks and mine for the stats for burn time and square footage of heating)... I haven't bought it yet but I've been reading about it for about a week now.

1) Does it take much sitting around and watching and waiting to engage it? Does this stove require more monitoring than something else like a Pacific Energy Neo for example? I read the manuals for both and I'm curious if I'll have to babysit this stove more than another type?

2) What if I don't engage the converter and we leave the house for work? Will my burn time suffer terribly? I really want to set my wood stove and forget about it as much as possible throughout the day as our house sits empty from 7 AM until 3 pm regularly.

If you have dry wood two years old under 20% moisture you should get the wood going in about 15 min start a fire from scratch. If your just throwing wood on hot coals in the morning you it will take 10 min or less. Once you close the air 7am to 3pm easy. It depends how cold it is outside if it's 30s it should give enough heat till 6pm it also depends on the size of your house and insulation. But once you fill the stove close the bypass and air you should not open the door till the burn is not giving enough heat, again that depends on outside temps and house.

When temps in Long Island ny reach teens I fill the stove with has much wood that can fit in the morning 7am my wife is home at 3pm 1621sf house the temps in the house are 67 she fills it again house temps will increase to 73 and we are good till I go to bed about 10 fill the stove all the way will be good till morning. Careful if you celebrate Christmas this stove gives some serious heat for December when temps here are high 30s I killed my Christmas tree the first year I got the stove.

When temps in Long Island ny reach teens I fill the stove with has much wood that can fit in the morning 7am my wife is home at 3pm 1621sf house the temps in the house are 67 she fills it again house temps will increase to 73 and we are good till I go to bed about 10 fill the stove all the way will be good till morning. Careful if you celebrate Christmas this stove gives some serious heat for December when temps here are high 30s I killed my Christmas tree the first year I got the stove.

Thanks Wolves! Great info!! I appreciate it! Any idea what would happen, worst case scenario... my wood isn't good enough or for whatever reason, do I have to engage the cat converter or could I just let it run without it? I thought the Cat. Converter was the triple burn portion and was wondering if there was a baffle system as well besides the cat converter? Trying to sort out what triple burn means instead of just double!! Thanks again everyone!!

Reactions: weatherguy
You want to engage the cat or it will smoke to much out side and not burn efficient. If your wood is on the moist side it will take longer to reach proper temps add 15min to the time I gave above. When did you get your wood and what kind of wood?

Thanks Begreen for answering my questions on the other thread in October. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my CI2600 soon thereafter and was supposed to get it installed this past Monday. I tried all the due diligence I could possibly muster to make sure the installation went without a hitch and it turned into an abysmal failure. The installer pointed out a few immediate issues concerning cutting out a heatilator that he wasn't tooled up to do. So, I said we should look over the entire job to make sure there aren't any more surprises when he returns to do the job. Then we got on the roof to look at the chimney and the liner was only 5 3/4" x 9 1/2". Obviously not possible to get a 6" liner in it. So I asked if an oval liner with the same area cross section could be used. I found a vendor online that made an oval that was 5" x 8.15" that provided 28.22" sq in (versus 28" sq in for 6" round). The sales manager called me and said Regency wont allow for any substitutes for a 6" round liner. I sent an email to Regency to inquire but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm not an expert on airflow but I do have a bit of knowledge on this subject and can't fathom why an oval liner with a very similar air volume profile wouldn't work. If I can't use the Regency, anyone have any other suggestions? I asked another local dealer that handles Regency and he suggested I look into the Avalon but it seems they are made by Regency??

Thanks to all for your information on this thread. I'm hoping to contribute my own soon

It sounds odd for an installer not to be prepared like that. Did they not check out the job ahead of time. It also sounds odd about Regency and the liner. In the manual it states. Regency Inserts are designed to use either a 5.5" (140mm) or 6" (152mm) flue. As long as the cross-sectional area is good why wouldn't an oval liner work? @bholler, have you run into this before with Regency?

Avalons are made by Travis - US. Regency is Canadian.