The sled is in the woods!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Yes, it's that time when the trailer starts to get hard for my bald-tire little ATV to pull. Pulled the sled today for the first time this season. After the impending winter storm tomorrow...could be awhile before I can get out in the woods again, maybe months!
IMG_0054%20(800x600).jpg

And here is just a miscellaneous pic. This pic is of one of those pieces of wood I get once in awhile that makes me swing more than once at it. Then I take it's pic so I can continue to curse it for a long, long time; every time I see it in my picture album! It's funny how sometimes, years later, when I'm putting one of those pieces in the stove, I remember it.
IMG_0046%20(800x600).jpg

you haven't beat the crap out of it until the end is peened / mushroomed over like a piece of steel.

you know you're cursing pretty bad when the dog runs home and hides . :)

Oh yeah, that looks ugly at the bottom. A few swings for sure.

When I split, I like the round to be on something hard. With that snow and base of leafs and then the ground - I guess it's not an issue to worry with.

Love the sled. You should paint it red for this time of year.

The cow crows at noon. OOPS thought you were talking in code.

Quads, you better get the fiskars on the new handle or the hearth.com police will fine you.

zap

Quads, either new tires or chains for that atv and you might be able still to get out and cut. Or you might try what we do; just snow plow your way in.

Hope you don't get buried with too much snow. Hey, we got a little bit overnight again but it is basically all gone now as we got above freezing today. Supposed to again tomorrow before the storm moves in. Looks like 5-9" for us is predicted.

Backwoods Savage said:
Quads, either new tires or chains for that atv and you might be able still to get out and cut. Or you might try what we do; just snow plow your way in.

Hope you don't get buried with too much snow. Hey, we got a little bit overnight again but it is basically all gone now as we got above freezing today. Supposed to again tomorrow before the storm moves in. Looks like 5-9" for us is predicted.

Dennis,
If we chip in and get you a bar stool then you can split horizontal and not be sitting in the snow! :lol:

Gary

Gary, bar stools are made for better things.

It is funny sometimes when I am splitting a round that looks normal and when it is difficult to split, I just know there is going to be some wierd grain pattern causing it. Usually from some old branch that must have come out the trunk at some point.

I don't see any marks from the maul on the end of that round - it looks like you landed every swing in exactly the same spot. Nice swinging.

I don't see any marks from the maul on the end of that round - it looks like you landed every swing in exactly the same spot. Nice swinging.

Wood Duck said:
But of course! Thanks!

I've got tire chains for my 2wd ATV that I use on the farm, but not for this one that I use in the woods. And I'm too cheap to buy them for this one and I can't quite see the air in the tires yet, so no new tires! If the snow is too deep to get around in the woods with it the way it is, then it's too deep for me to be making firewood anyway.

Sounds like yesterday might have been the last time I get out there this winter. I've got a little bit of firewood in the yard yet that I am willing to sell, the rest of it is stacked in the woods. When the yard wood is gone then the customers will have to buy it somewhere else. The snow is coming down in 'buckets' right now. The official forecast is for 10-14 inches, but one weatherman last night said we could be measuring it in feet by Sunday morning. Haha! I love dramatic weathermen. If we get 10" I can still get out there and cut some wood/haul some of my for sale wood up as needed. Any more than that and it's all over. Then I will have plenty of time to go tobogganing! And you can bet I'll have pictures of that.......

quads said:
Yes, it's that time when the trailer starts to get hard for my bald-tire little ATV to pull. Pulled the sled today for the first time this season. After the impending winter storm tomorrow...could be awhile before I can get out in the woods again, maybe months!
IMG_0054%20(800x600).jpg

It's funny how sometimes, years later, when I'm putting one of those pieces in the stove, I remember it.
IMG_0046%20(800x600).jpg
thats funny this happens to me all the time. either when im puttin it in the stove or when im stacking. and i was just thinking to myself the other day i must be nuts for remember things like this

ecocavalier02 said:
thats funny this happens to me all the time. either when im puttin it in the stove or when im stacking. and i was just thinking to myself the other day i must be nuts for remember things like this
It's a curse. I remember all kinds of useless information FOREVER, yet, I can barely remember any important stuff.......like Mrs. Quads' birthday.

You running chains I cant really tell?

quads said:
ecocavalier02 said:
It's a curse. I remember all kinds of useless information FOREVER, yet, I can barely remember any important stuff.......like Mrs. Quads' birthday.

No problem, she will remind you! :) A stern look will do more damage then a splitting maul!

Gary

quads said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Quads, that is why I married a redhead that has a birthday on the same day as my own. That way I never forget.

IMG_0046%20(800x600).jpg
[/quote]Quads, I have told you how lucky you are to have the timber you have, get to go to the woods with your ATV and sled and I am sure most of what you split is typical woodland trees....straight and tall. I have cut for over 30 years wherever I can and more often than not, everything I split is like your tough ones cause I seldom get to cut in a woodlot or timber. God is just reminding you how lucky you are with an occasional ugly split :smirk: Enjoy!

smokinjay said:
You running chains I cant really tell?
No chains on that one.

Looks like my firewood making is done for this winter. We are under a Blizzard Warning right now. Snowing and blowing so hard I can't see the trees in the front yard. I think we got about 1 foot of fresh snow so far, but it's hard to tell. Forecast says maybe over 2 feet by morning and 50mph wind.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Quads, that is why I married a redhead that has a birthday on the same day as my own. That way I never forget.
HA! Her birthday is only 4 days from mine, that's how bad I am.....

Both my wife's family and mine are all redheads, except us! We are the only ones in our families that aren't. (even our daughter is a redhead)

quads. there is usually a black sheep in every family. :lol:

Sweet sled Quads

When you start looking at tires check out the ATI mud lites they have a tractor like tread and really hook up. I have swamp witches on mine and it goes through mud in 2wd almost as good as it did in 4wd with the stock knobbies on it but it has a hared wide rib on it and tends to spin more on the hard pack. The ATI's have a softer narrower rib with the same tread pattern and will be the next tires I buy. If I had some way to get them to you and they were the right size I'd make you deal on my old ones. I only had a couple hunderd miles on them when a got a great deal on the used swamp witches.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.