The Tin Man and his Ax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'm watching the Wizard of Oz and noticed that the trees he had already felled do not look like a job with an ax... more like a chainsaw or just taking it down with a cross cut saw.

tin-man.jpg

Matt

I think you have too much time on your hands. :lol:

And in the book Dorothy does not have Ruby Red Slippers. That came along w/ technicolor. They are supposed to be silver.

Still a classic story.

pen

Well, couple of things to consider. Although chain saws of a sort date back to the late 19th century, and gas-powered saws to about 1929, chain saws as we know them today (one-man tools) weren't really developed until after WWII, when light aluminum alloys were available. But, probably more importantly, the movie you're watching was made in 1939 on the MGM Studios lot in Culver City, CA. On a movie set. Those, in all probability, aren't real trees or real tree stumps at all. BTW, I love that movie. Rick

EatenByLimestone said:
I kind of like the witch's monkey boy thing. I don't know what to call it.

Matt

I'd call it a strange fettish!

The tin man's face was made of aluminum dust

In an updated "Oz," would the Tinman carry a Fiskars?

Peace,
- Sequoia

I think he'd probably carry a Stihl. Certainly not a Husky. :lol:

And he'd probably use used motor oil for lubrication.

Matt

Buddy Epsen (AKA Jed Clampett) was cast as the tin man, but when they put the aluminum based makeup on him he almost died because he was allergic to it.

Does tin rust?

For a real kick...especially if you have young kids who enjoy "The Wizard of Oz"...find yourself a copy of Disney's "Return To Oz". Whatever you do, don't fail to watch it with them, it's a gem of a movie. Rick

fossil said:
For a real kick...especially if you have young kids who enjoy "The Wizard of Oz"...find yourself a copy of Disney's "Return To Oz". Whatever you do, don't fail to watch it with them, it's a gem of a movie. Rick

I'd rather watch my favorite 066 git run over by my favorite Cat D6 TSK!!!! It wood B less painful!

I guess he was tin plated steel. That would explain the rust.

interchangabLEE said:
fossil said:

I'd rather watch my favorite 066 git run over by my favorite Cat D6 TSK!!!! It wood B less painful!

Whatever trips yer trigger, Paul Bunyan.

I've always sort of resented the movie a bit... The way the movie was done, it seemed like all there was to the story - it wasn't until many years later, and when I was much older, that I discovered that there are actually a great many OZ books, with an even greater range of strange and unusual characters - both good and bad... Well worth the trouble to find them. While clearly written for children, they are still a fun read for adults - and if you need to read to children, they will be a lot more entertaining than the standard "I Can Read" style books...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I've always sort of resented the movie a bit... The way the movie was done, it seemed like all there was to the story - it wasn't until many years later, and when I was much older, that I discovered that there are actually a great many OZ books, with an even greater range of strange and unusual characters - both good and bad... Well worth the trouble to find them. While clearly written for children, they are still a fun read for adults - and if you need to read to children, they will be a lot more entertaining than the standard "I Can Read" style books...

Gooserider

Just read them all in the past few months... they are almost free on the Amazon Kindle now. Good stuff to read to children, for sure.

My father read them to my sister and me when were little. I don't remember much from them,, but my father did name his boat "The Gump of Oz". I don't even remember what the Gump was.

I hereby niminate name change ferom Flatbedford to The Gump................

Status
Not open for further replies.