The wood score - finally with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi all! I posted about a wood score several days ago - took down 4 medium sized trees - 1 yellow birch, one beech, and two red maple. I promised pic, but the snow storm slowed me down. All pics are pre-storm - about 18" of white on the stacks now! Not sure why, but when I post pics, I'm never certain of the order. I'll describe the pics' below and then edit with the proper number for order once I see the post. I also include some other pics of my other wood stacks on the property, just for fun! Descriptions clockwise

Top right pic - the wood pile in the woods at my work (where I can cut 3 cord per year) after lugging the splits by my kid's snow sled to where I could load in the truck.

Top left pic - The stack of new wood. The shorter neat stack, second from left, with the fiskars poking out (not sure if visible) + the jumble pile on the right (with my pickaroon poking out, again, not sure if visible) is from this haul - I would guess it is close to 2/3 cord, perhaps a little less. The rest of the stacks are pure red oak and ash. All of this wood is my start of 2014/2015 supply, although I don't think I'll let the yellow birch, beech, and red maple sit that long - I'll likely pull and burn earlier - especially the red maple since it had a 1" core of punk through the entire truck.

Next lower left pic - 2011/2012 stacks - a lot of red oak, ash, cherry, red maple, yellow and black birch. Most, except for the far right stacks of ash/cherry, have been sitting since May of 2009.

Next lower right pic - 2012/2013 stacks. I tarp these stacks from late fall through early spring because I stacked too tight. It is about 90% red oak. I might restack this summer to make the pallets spaced like the other photos. I'm worried that the oak is not breathing enough. There is some space between pallets, but not much. I want to make sure that 1) the wood doesn't start to rot, and 2) the oak is well seasoned before I want to burn. These stacks have been here since about June 2009.

Next lower left pic # - 2013/2014 stacks. I good mix of red oak, beech, sugar maple, ash, and red maple. Stacked since Jan 2010.

Next lower right pic # - View of the horse stall, now the 'wood shed' in the barn. Hold a comfortable 5 cord. About 2 cord left for this winter - hopefully won't have to steal from the outside stacks!

Last pic # - View of the wood processing/stacking area from the back field. There are two horse paddocks that are visible from the west side of the barn - that is where all the wood happens! High wind/sun = perfect spot for drying wood!

Thanks about it. Looks like I'm done cutting for a while - the woods are snowed in.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 604
NH_Wood, looks like you have a nice mixture of wood. Great job on the stacking, nice score and nice spread.

Zap

Nice, could you maybe get a closer pic of your stacks on the pallets? Im new to the game and was trying to figue out a space effecient way to use pallets to get my wood up off the ground and think what youve done may work perfect for me.

Remmy122 said:
Nice, could you maybe get a closer pic of your stacks on the pallets? Im new to the game and was trying to figue out a space effecient way to use pallets to get my wood up off the ground and think what youve done may work perfect for me.

Remmy - I'll try. I try to use 4x4 pallets, but some are 3x4. I crib the corners and fill the middles (I think that is visible) - There is usually room in the center to place splits and ulglies. I stack two rows of pallets with enough space that I can easily walk between all pallets. Allows a lot of air to move through. I really like stacking this way, and since the wood sits a long while, I like the way it looks. The stacks are pretty loaded with snow right now, but I'll head out and see if I can get a close up pic of a stacked pallet.

Zap - thanks!

Remmy122 said:

Remmy - just ran out and snapped a close up of a couple pallets. Each of the four sides looks the same. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 560
Looks good and it is good you got this done before the snowfall.

Thanks for the new pics! I was gonna try a Holtz hausen, but think I may wait till teh summer when I wont be running back and forth trying to thaw out. My Wife will enjoy the look and thats worth a lot!

great stacks. Looks like you used a framing square when stacking.

jimosufan said:
great stacks. Looks like you used a framing square when stacking.

+1. I was thinking they came out of a mold.

Thanks for the compliments guys. The photos seemed to have changed from there original arrangement - I can't figure out how to post pictures here very well. Yes, I'm a tad ( :cheese: ) anal about my stacks - I see them often, and I love looking at them all nice and neat - sweet lord, I have problems!

P.S. When I opened the stall door to shoot a shot of the area where I keep the current year's wood, I forgot to close the door. About 20" of snow that night. Had to snowblow the stall!!!! Not too bright!

Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
P.S. When I opened the stall door to shoot a shot of the area where I keep the current year's wood

I didn't notice this year's stash inside the barn. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't figured out how to get around stacking twice.

SolarAndWood said:
NH_Wood said:
P.S. When I opened the stall door to shoot a shot of the area where I keep the current year's wood

I didn't notice this year's stash inside the barn. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't figured out how to get around stacking twice.

Yes, hard to see. If you click on the image, I think it is more visible. I wish I only stacked twice. Every two weeks I move splits from the barn and restack in a storage room off the garage - direct access to house and close to stove. I could just run a wheelbarrow full each day and leave the wheelbarrow in the garage, but I like getting two weeks of wood close by and only takes an hour or two every two weeks. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.