There goes the wood-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Am I the only person that hates to see the stacks go down during burning season? You look at all the work you have done preparing for the season, admire the stacks for the whole summer as they season- just waiting for those signs that the wood is drying (checking, coloring, peeling bark) and then in what feels like one fell swoop it goes through the stove.

I guess I should not bring in wood just before coming onto this site.

Think of it this way remkel. Its either the stacks get smaller or , at least for me, I would get a not so welcomed visitor showing up with a large round tank on his truck and then leaving a piece of paper with an outrageous number on it! :)

I haven't taken one stick off of a stack this year.

wishlist said:
Think of it this way remkel. Its either the stacks get smaller or , at least for me, I would get a not so welcomed visitor showing up with a large round tank on his truck and then leaving a piece of paper with an outrageous number on it! :)

Ha! +1 Remi! Wishlist mentioned one my fiercest foes! Cheers!

Actually, its kind of fun working your way through stacks you put up a while back and seeing how everything turned out. Kind of like Christmas. Plus, it gives you a chance to make new ones. Sometimes I even remember certain trees I processed. With the warmer temps, I'm working my way through a storm damaged cherry I took down last spring.

Remkel said:
Am I the only person that hates to see the stacks go down during burning season? You look at all the work you have done preparing for the season, admire the stacks for the whole summer as they season- just waiting for those signs that the wood is drying (checking, coloring, peeling bark) and then in what feels like one fell swoop it goes through the stove.

We are still burning some beech I cut in 2008 (last of that beech) because I was a HOARDER of the good wood. This year we have the good wood ready for the supreme sacrifice, just waiting for the cold weather.

Former Hoarder

zap

wishlist said:

Now that you put it that way......

Unfortunately, I still need the large round tank to heat the water- however, he has mentioned that it seems like he does not need as large of a tank when he comes to my house.

It's like the old proverb "You can't have your cake and eat it." You can eat it but you won't have it any more OR you can put it on the plate and admire it but not ever savor the flavor. Same with our wood stacks. We all love to walk out and admire our wood stacks but we have to make the choice of looking at it or burning it. As the stack is depleted we think of all the work that went into it from felling the tree, or scrounging it, to splitting, then stacking it and watching it 'season' for a couple of years or so. Sort of like raising a kid.

If you don't 'make' your own firewood you don't to feel this way.

Just keep baking cakes,just dont eat more than your supply because you'll pork up pretty fast. ;-)

come on the temp has been mild so far. and you know you enjoy getting out there in the woods cutting.you will probably have all kinds left in the shed in june. stay warm. cheers

I was waiting for my first pile (12 ft long, 2 rows) to empty. I moved the remaining up to the covered porch today so that should last me through New Years or so. Now that the row is empty, I can start moving my 2013/2014 wood into the stacks! Normally I can't do this because of snow cover. Seeing there's no snow, it stacking time!

Remkel said:

I often feel the same way - then I think of that wood burned as money I have saved. I also think about how much less wood I've burned this year compared to other winters - so in that sense I am a bit ahead of normal.

It is tough to see that hard work going up in smoke though!

If your stacks keep falling over and getting restacked, it screws with your mental calculations of how much wood has been burned.

I got those thoughts a few times. That feeling of loss from missing wood stacks. Then I went and sat in a comfy chair near the real warm stove. The thoughts evaporated soon afterward.

I only hate it when it's looking like I have more winter than wood. Right now I think of it as converting the wood to heat, and feel great satisfaction. Sometimes I am stacking it and it brings back the sensation of sweating in the hot sun or surrendering to the mosquitoes and calling it quits. Recently ran across a split of birch that my daughter had scratched her initials in--that was kinda fun.

I don't mind them going down, just don't like them going down too fast. Had a mild December (after outrageously cold Nov) so the consumption has slowed a little. The stack to the left of my door is named January, the one to the right is February, and the one up by the garage is March. The one in the garden is March/April, and the half-cord stack uphill of the house is April/May. As the wood goes away, so does winter, and I'll be relieved to have this one behind me. It's a slow tick of the hands of time . . .

Was wondering the same thing the other day when I was taking some 2yr split oak off the stack and moving it to the covered porch, only I was wondering if squirlls felt the same way when they dig up their nuts they have stashed, or are they just glad they had the sence to put some away.
Funny how my mind works when I am working.
Got my gas bill today for the last month, used 8 therms. This month last year used 77 therms. Figure about 75bucks payed back on some of my investments... :coolsmile:

I feel the same way. Along about this time of year I look at the stacks going down and wonder why so much? Probably ain't gonna change. I have done it every year for over thirty years. Cutting/splitting/stacking ain't fun and it ain't sport for me so I hate to see the stuff go.

I agree . . . that's why I just take the wood off my neighbor's stack . . . I'm sure he won't mind since he has plenty. ;) And yes . . . I'm kidding.

In all seriousness I don't mind seeing the stack of wood go down . . . I don't see it as a loss, but rather as a gain . . . I see all that time and effort from past years going to keep my house nice and warm and pretty affordably as well.

If anything just seeing the stacks of wood go down serves as motivation . . . motivation for me to start working on my future wood to replace the wood I've used up. It's a never ending vicious cycle.

I fill up a bay of my garage with stacked wood. I measured it the other day 20x8x4.5 = 5.6 cords. I haven't seen it go down much at all. Currently I am cherry picking trash wood for shoulder burns. Usually I get alittle panic'ed in March wondering if I will have enough as I get to the last row and can start squeezing a car in. By spring, I am happy to get my garage bay back and sweep up the mess. Knowing that I have 3 times this amount stacked for coming years, takes the separation anxiety away from seeing the burn stack go down. I also like playing the recognition game with pieces and remembering where I cut and scrounged them from and the work I put into it.

My propane guy came the other day. I stood by and chatted. He commented " you burn wood - don't ya?" I just smiled and said Yes.... yes I do.

163 gallons for almost a years use (dryer and HWH). $ 2.20 a gallon, not bad at all. I rejoyce in the money I save. Could be close to $ 20K in 4 years! Well worth the effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.