Thermostat settings for different zones in house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwctjeff

May 4, 2008
nw connecticut
I was wondering what people recommend for thermostat settings in zones of the house that you are not trying to heat with the stove specifically. I have an in-law apt. that is on a seperate zone and have been keeping the thermostat set at 63 deg. (by my mother's choice who sleeps there). We occasionally will use a fan to circulate some cold air from this area through the adjoining doorway into our stove heated main floor. Would it be smarter to keep the inlaw area slightly warmer with the furnace? I never intended to heat this area with the wood insert but would like to take advantage of any supplemental heat I can. Using the fan seems to make a 2 to 3 degree increase in temp. The furnace comes on VERY rarely to heat this zone at the current setting.

Sounds like what you are doing is working fine if everyone is happy. My mom would want the room at 75 deg., but at 100, she's probably a whole lot older.

Status
Not open for further replies.