Thermostats with auto function

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky208

May 31, 2008
Southern ME
This is more of a consumption question than thermostat question, but I recently purchased and installed a Mount Vernon pellet stove. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tracked any differences in consumption between the automatic function on the thermostat and the manual setting. In auto mode I believe the stove will adjust feed rate and blower speeds based on how far you are from your target temp, whereas manual is set at one speed (1-5) and stays there until target temp is achieved. I haven't run the stove long enough in either setting to figure it out, and was wondering if anyone out there has already put in the time and tonnage to figure out the more efficient method. Thanks in advance. Jim

At this time of year we use the stove sporadically but once the cold season starts we have it on 24/7 non stop whether we are at home or not....when not at home we put on low to save on the igniter.

I use mine with a programmable thermostat and when temp is reached it shuts off. I only use the auto shutdown (smartstat) when its cool outside when it's cold i use the regular thermostat mode and it just goes to low until heat is needed again. I use a ritetemp programmable and it works well. There is a savings also because when your not at home why heat to max temp when i just set the thermostat to come on 1 hour before we get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.