Thermovar valve question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
Installed a new Empyre Elite yesterday, had to use a plate exchanger. We installed the PE in line where we took out the old Adobe and hooked the new boiler to the other side. I am not getting heat to my tank. The boiler heats to 180*but then cycles out the top side of the PE on the tank side will get to 174-5 but it seems to be getting short cycled back to the themovar. I do get some 160 plus water to tank but the house line is only 140*. Before changing boilers both line on the top of the tank would run close to the same temps, none of this piping was changed. I think the Thermovar valve is not letting enough cool water to the bottom side of the PE too take away enough of the heat. Do I need to take out the Themovar valve or adjust it somehow. Its 40* here today and the wter coming to the house is only 130* and I have burning all day something is wrong. I know one of you out there have the answer. Jim

Jim,

The loading valve should require the water to bypass the heat exchanger until the water in the boiler is up to temp. I have a laddomat loading valve on my boiler and it comes standard with a 72C (162F) thermostat valve in it. Thus, when the boiler water temp gets to 72C I start charging my 1,000 gallons of accumulator tank storage with hot water. If the house is calling for heat then the house will take its heat out of the top of the accumulator tank also.

What is the make and model of your loading valve? Does it have an integtral circ. pump built in? How/where is the loading valve installed in your system?

On my system the loading valve is on the return side of the boiler.

If you send me an email at [email protected] I will email you some detailed schematics of how they are supposed to be installed.

Thanks,

Brian

I used nofissil's plan from the sticky note at the top of the forum. I put the PE in place of the wood boiler. The Empyre Elite has its own snap disc protection to keep the temps up. The heat just doesn't seem to be getting away from the other side of the PE. the valve I have is a Themovar brand. It seem as there is not enough of a delta over the PE to take away the BTUs. The PE is rated at 160K and the boiler is only 100K.

Installed a new Empyre Elite yesterday, had to use a plate exchanger. We installed the PE in line where we took out the old Adobe and hooked the new boiler to the other side. I am not getting heat to my tank. The boiler heats to 180*but then cycles out the top side of the PE on the tank side will get to 174-5 but it seems to be getting short cycled back to the themovar. I do get some 160 plus water to tank but the house line is only 140*. Before changing boilers both line on the top of the tank would run close to the same temps, none of this piping was changed. I think the Thermovar valve is not letting enough cool water to the bottom side of the PE too take away enough of the heat. Do I need to take out the Themovar valve or adjust it somehow. Its 40* here today and the wter coming to the house is only 130* and I have burning all day something is wrong. I know one of you out there have the answer. Jim
Hi muleman, I would like to know how you made on with your Empyre Elite. I'm getting ready to install a new one as the one I purchased in 2010 died. It's being replaced under warranty. See Empyre Elite boiler corrosion thread, this website. The new units have a provision for cleaning the secondary combustion air duct. Don't know if your boiler has this update but definitely be aware. I'm thinking of using the thermovar and a second circulation pump in a bypass loop. The main circ pump would then pump through a plate exchanger, to a storage tank and then back to the return side of the thermovar. I've always had temperature difference in my storage tank. I put hot in the top and draw off the bottom. Normally about 10 degree difference between top and bottom of tank. If you are putting and taking from the top layer it would be the same thermal layer. Is there a US distributor for the thermovar?

Status
Not open for further replies.