Thimble Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fharrington

Jan 15, 2007
I have a chimney that we haven't used yet since building the house 7 yrs ago. We're getting ready to finish the basement now and have a couple of questions:

1) The mason has a 9" I.D. thimble installed. I don't see us every using anything but a 6" pipe with our small wood stove for this room. What's the best way to reduce this? I'd rather do something semi-permanent rather than trying to fool with stove pipe reducers. I wasn't sure if the "right" thing to do is install a 6" clay thimble inside it, or some other type of double-walled pipe?

2) We're facing the chimney with stone veneer. What's the best way to cut the existing clay thimble so it'll be flush with the stone? Will an abrasive blade on a skillsaw work? Currently it's about 12" exposed and we'll have about 4" of natural stone veneer.

Thanks in advance!

You could break off the thimble and cement in a 6" glavanized metal one factoring in the stone work the metal thimble will sufice

Check with Simpson Duravent - I recall a masonry thimble that may suit your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.