Things NOT to do when out in the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
1. Don't back into a cactus when limbing a fallen tree.

Ouch!

Swedishchef said:
Luckily for me there's not a single cactus in my climate...

Yes, lucky you. I always thought they were inanimate. But these things have a way of jumping out at you when you're not looking!

But then, we don't have any airborne insects. Tradeoffs.

Don't leave your axe at the base of the tree that you climb.

TRUST ME!!!
Don't cut into downed wood when there's a few dozen wasps hanging around it.
It can, and most likely will turn into hundreds of wasps before long!It's funny how
they will always go up the non-throttle wristcuff on a jacket and start stinging the
same area underneath the wrist.

Ha ha. Okotoks. You can have the wasps. I always watch where I'm cutting to avoid nests.

Precaud: you actually use a wood stove in New Mexico? Does it get cold enough?? ;) You're right, we have flying insects. And we do have snow! However, we don't have hurricanes or tornadoes where I live, nor do we have poisenous snakes ;) It's a trade off indeed! What's a few billion mosquitos for 4 weeks and a few feet of snow in the winter?

Andrew

Swedishchef said:
...Precaud: you actually use a wood stove in New Mexico? Does it get cold enough??...

Not sure just where Precaud lives in NM, nor am I his attorney %-P ...but I went to the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque for 3 years back in the mid-1970's, and I can tell you that we were just about a mile high (elevationally speaking) and it got plenty cold during the winter. Snow, ice, and all that stuff. Not a lot, by some standards, but enough. Yes, people way down there in the Southwest need heat in the winter if they're at higher elevations. Rick

precaud said:
And no, I will not be posting pictures...

then it didnt happen! lol

Swedishchef said:
Precaud: you actually use a wood stove in New Mexico?
Aye, two of them.

Does it get cold enough??
As so ably responded to by my acting attorney, Mr Fossil, yes, we have real winters here at 7200 ft. Attached is a photo of New Years Day, 2007. We had 3-4 feet of snow over an 8 day period. Ruined many a roof, including one of mine. :(

Attachments

• winter2.jpg
    winter2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 748
precaud said:
...As so ably responded to by my acting attorney, Mr Fossil...

That would be Mr. Fossil, Esq. :lol:

Nice to know! I learned something today.

The anual snow fall where I live is about 400-500 CM of snow, that's approximately 13-16 feet. It settles over the winter, therefore, at most we have about 4-5 feet on the ground. It's almost like a snow belt where I live. I remember back in 2008, at Easter, we received 100 CM of snow between Good Friday and Easter Sunday: THAT WAS THE WEEKEND OF APRIL 6TH. Ugh. That was hard on the moral. SNow on the ground until the first/second week or may!

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I recall a few years back when over 100" of snow fell in one weekend around the Soo! You definitely live in a snowy area though getting that much.

On NM, we once thought about spending part of one winter there but it was too cold for us to want to do. I do recall driving through during April one year and we drove through about 10" of the white stuff. Yes, it does get cold there and snow does fall.

seldomseensmith said:
7200 ft elevation? Sounds like Santa Fe. Where have you been getting pellets? I bought a stove and have been looking around for deals.

precaud is a true blue firewood burner. He better not be hanging around no pellet stove. :coolgrin: The wood shed has no place for a pellet stove. %-P

No kidding, N60. I'd go back to nat gas before going to pellets. Besides, gathering firewood is at least half of the pleasure of heating with wood, and I'll be doing it as long as my body allows. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.