This is how I scrounge! Pics added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
After a few fails at scrounging I finally have some success, at least soon I will.

I was talking to a guy @ work and told him about my hunger for some firewood. He tells me that he has some sitting in the woods that I can have. Seems the house he bought a few years ago has a wood burner but he has NO interest in using it. He wasn't sure how much was in the woods behind him but it's split and stacked!

Then yesterday I was talking to another guy and was drooling over some downed trees along the road when he asked if I was looking for firewood. I said "Oh, yeah. As much as I can get." So he goes on the explain that he has a "bunch" of trees that have come down and he just cut them into pieces and tossed them in the woods and I could have it. I asked him how much I could have and he said "All of it." I later asked what type of wood (not that this would matter) and how longs it's been down. He said it's a mix of hardwood and softwood and most of it has been down for two years. Then he told me he was taking down a couple more trees and I could have those too!

I'm going to wait a few weeks before I go get either of it because we've had so much rain I'll make a mess of their yards. I don't know how much will be salvaged but I am guessing most will be in good shape. I'll post pics when I get the wood.

Man, I love friends!

fv

Split and seasoned is about as good as it gets although a pile of rounds you can back up to is pretty darn good.

You hit a key element of scrounging.... getting the word out that you want wood. Then, never say no to a reasonable opportunity. Get there quickly - has 2 advantages: no one else steps in and gets the wood and the owner appreciates it. Once there, go a little overboard to clean up ... above what the owner would expect.
Atleast I have had significant success scrounging following these basic principles.

I agree that getting the word out is one of the best things you can do to locate firewood. I know that around here a fellow would not have to look too far or let out much word and there would be plenty of wood to cut. It is a shame to see all the dead and dieing trees around here. Especially now that we have a glut of dead ash so if you add it to all the dead elm, there is plenty to go around.

As my buddy and I were getting out of the truck to go turkey hunting this afternoon my cell phone range. It was my neighbor who asked if I was sitting on the couch doing nothing. After telling him I was heading into the woods he said "We'll I took that tree down and it's waiting to get cut. Let me know and we'll cut it up and you can either split it here or we'll take it to your place. I'm in no hurry." I've pretty much decided that my turkey season is over (went out once) and it's time to cut and split!

fv

fireview2788 said:
As my buddy and I were getting out of the truck to go turkey hunting this afternoon my cell phone range. It was my neighbor who asked if I was sitting on the couch doing nothing. After telling him I was heading into the woods he said "We'll I took that tree down and it's waiting to get cut. Let me know and we'll cut it up and you can either split it here or we'll take it to your place. I'm in no hurry." I've pretty much decided that my turkey season is over (went out once) and it's time to cut and split!

fv

FV, Take a peek at the weather coming in (wet) you might want to grab that soon, nice job.

GIBIR

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree that getting the word out is one of the best things you can do to locate firewood. I know that around here a fellow would not have to look too far or let out much word and there would be plenty of wood to cut. It is a shame to see all the dead and dieing trees around here. Especially now that we have a glut of dead ash so if you add it to all the dead elm, there is plenty to go around.
i dont even have to open my mouth anymore. lol friday we had friends over and my buddy says dude you have a lot of wood. i said not enough. he says i know i guy who cuts on the side and gets rid of the wood. once you start getting a few cord in your backyard people will see it and just ask you if you want it. lol.

I used to scrounge wood by hauling home pallets and cutting them up. Many were oak with 4x4s which burned great. I had to be very careful when cutting up with a chain saw to avoid the nails. Now, thanks to several large snow storms this Winter and many downed trees on my property have have "real" wood for many years to come.

fireview2788 said:

fv

Yes. Firewood is worth more than turkeys!

We have a chance of rain everyday this week. I'm going to talk to him at church today and our big cut day will likely be Saturday. I'm going to get started on it tomorrow and probably work on it every morning for a couple of hours.

backwoods, I agree. However, if this were deer season the wood would sit. I've got to have venison to make my chili on he new stove!

fv

I couldn't agree more! I start cutting wood right after deer season and do all the cutting during the winter. Splitting starts about the time the snow melts and then comes the stacking. But deer hunting still comes first.

So I talked with my friend today and here's the skinny on the tree, it's 96' tall (they measured it) white ASH that has been dead for two years. You guys think it's a good score? ;-) We're going to work on it Saturday.

He also told me that he has some black walnut he took down last year, his neighbor said I could have everything on his property, and the two trees the neighbor is taking down are mine. PLUS, they helped another church member who had a tree come down by cutting it up for her.....and brought the tree back for me! I've been blessed with awesome thoughtful friends!

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

fv

Shoot you are on a roll! Hope you've got some stacking room ready, looks like you'll be swimming in free wood. That Ash will be primo this year as long as it spends a good part of the summer split & stacked.
Those rounds that were thrown in the woods 2 years ago are likely a little punky to a lot punky (depending on the species) if they are just lying right on the ground. The fresh-cut stuff might be the better to go after.
My unsoicited advice: Just don't promise to do take something & then flake-out on it. Do what you say you'll do & the wood is likely to keep coming.

midwest, I am worried about some of the stuff in the woods but I'll do what it takes to keep the blessings coming.

fv

Here's some pics of my score. The ash is a little punky but most is salvageable, black walnut bucked, beech, silver maple, and a black walnut waiting to be bucked. I've got 2/3 of the stacks bucked to size and ready to split. The bucked black walnut is ready to burn this year and I think the beech will be too but the rest will be for 2012.

The large ash is going to be a two man job plus a front end loader to get it cut to size. I've got it marked and ready to go.

fv

IMG_7830_1.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

IMG_7827_1.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7825_1.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

Good size sticks!

Nice big stuff there.

Yes. Firewood is worth more than turkeys!

True enough but it doesn't taste nearly as good with cornbread stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.