This Nor'Easter is gonna suck for those that like their trees standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruserious2008

Jan 24, 2011
NH
Man not even a few hours into this sucker here in NH and I've got Ash and Maples dropping limbs like crazy. The ones that still have leaves are toast I fear. These are my ornamental s that I don't want to turn into firewood but oh well. Lots of people are going to loose some trees but of course it will be a boom for us woodburners.
I couldn't get close enough tonight out of fear for my life to the Ash and Maples going snap but here's my Magnolia that is normally standing up straight in front of my barn. I took my roof rake to it after taking this pic but not sure I'm going to be able to save that baby either. Gorgeous flowers each spring before anything else blooms or "leaves" out - will be very sad if that one goes.
I'll post some more pics tomorrow .
Man just as I went to hit POST there was another tree going in my neighbors yard that sounded like a gun shot!
Good luck everyone, for both saving your trees and scrounging others:)
dsc_0286.jpg

Knock on wood it has been all rain here. Much to early for the white stuff to be showing its ugly face!!!!!!!

I have limbs down all over my yard, I was outside and all I kept hearing was snapping and cracking.

ruserious2008 said:
...my Magnolia that is normally standing up straight in front of my barn. I took my roof rake to it after taking this pic but not sure I'm going to be able to save that baby either. Gorgeous flowers each spring before anything else blooms or "leaves" out - will be very sad if that one goes...
Oh man. I hope you save the magnolia. Those are great first bloomers around here also.

If you can, shake that snow off of the limbs of the magnolia.

i feel like when i go outside here i have to take cover. scary out there. limbs cracking all over the place. pretty crazy stuff.

ecocavalier02 said:
i feel like when i go outside here i have to take cover. scary out there. limbs cracking all over the place. pretty crazy stuff.

My yard is littered with large limbs, being the wood scrounger I am, I noticed a nice piece of oak that came down.
How much snow did you get eco? we only have about 6 in so far but its coming down pretty good now.

Hope you all keep power.
Major tree damage is forecast for a wide area.
Good luck, stay safe.

bogydave said:
Hope you all keep power.
Good luck, stay safe.

Record power outages in Conn, the whole northern 1/3 rd of the state is dark.

weatherguy said:
ecocavalier02 said:

My yard is littered with large limbs, being the wood scrounger I am, I noticed a nice piece of oak that came down.
How much snow did you get eco? we only have about 6 in so far but its coming down pretty good now.
looks like about 8 inches here now my parents a about 15 min from us have about a foot. I also am looking forward to the nice pieces of oak laying in my yard lol

bogydave said:
Hope you all keep power.
Good luck, stay safe.
been without power since 5. Thank god for the generator and stove. And luckily are cable is still working. =)

ecocavalier02 said:
weatherguy said:
ecocavalier02 said:

looks like about 8 inches . I also am looking forward to the nice pieces of oak laying in my yard lol

is the oak 8".
You guys are nuts.
Terrible snow storm, power is out, roads a mess, trees falling, limbs breaking, National news issuing alerts & warnings. Some is your own trees, & you guys can't wait to get out & clean up on wood.
Gotta love wood burners. :)
Power is out, so what, it's dry & warm here.
At least wait till daylight guys, next we'll heave of a chain saw with a running light. Want to get there first to get the good stuff. :lol:

Seriously; be safe & check on your neighbors too.

bogydave said:
ecocavalier02 said:
weatherguy said:
ecocavalier02 said:

looks like about 8 inches . I also am looking forward to the nice pieces of oak laying in my yard lol

is the oak 8".
You guys are nuts.
Terrible snow storm, power is out, roads a mess, trees falling, limbs breaking, National news issuing alerts & warnings. Some is your own trees, & you guys can't wait to get out & clean up on wood.
Gotta love wood burners. :)
Power is out, so what, it's dry & warm here.
At least wait till daylight guys, next we'll heave of a chain saw with a running light. Want to get there first to get the good stuff. :lol:

Seriously; be safe & check on your neighbors too.
Lol. I keep checking
Y neighbors houses there all older making sure no branches hit. Looks like I'll have to wait a couple days before cutting don't want a limb falling on me

my goodness... i was hoping this wouldn't be as bad as that "October surprise" storm we had a few years back.

Got a few feet of heavy wet snow with all leaves still on trees... roads were blocked for weeks.
I was working at Walmart in the Photo Dept at the time, we were so incredibly busy with insurance pictures. Everyone had to tell their story of what happened as well... I went walking around my village (I lived with my parents then) and I just remember it seemed like something out of a movie. It was pitch black out, you'd hear falling limbs every few seconds... you'd just hear a loud crack, then a branch would fall... I never walked under a tree the whole time. Then the next morning my grandfather came by with his truck to help pull out my cousin who was stuck in a parking lot nearby... I got to survey all the damage then, it was really rough.
2 days later, it all melted and we were left with flooding and rebuilding.

It was so incredible... One minute you have these HUGE snowbanks piled so high you can't see over them when you're driving a truck, then 10 minutes down the road the snowbanks have only a few inches. But it's like that a couple times every year... :|

Luckily this one missed us... Haven't had anything up here but a tiny bit of rain.
I feel for ya guys, it sucks.

I thought it was far more widespread than just Buffalo, but I guess I was wrong. My parents (and I) were right in the heart of it in Lancaster.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Storm_"Aphid"

Woke up to at least 2' here in souther NH. Never lost power - amazing! The ice storm of 2008 must have taken down most of the weak trees/branches at my property - from the windows it seems like all is well. Heading out in a few minutes to plow/shovel. Biggest October snow I can remember. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Woke up to at least 2' here in souther NH. Never lost power - amazing! The ice storm of 2008 must have taken down most of the weak trees/branches at my property - from the windows it seems like all is well. Heading out in a few minutes to plow/shovel. Biggest October snow I can remember. Cheers!

Sympathies from western VT, where we got a measly 1/2 in that melted by noon. It's a pretty strange disconnect to be sitting around in the ostensibly frozen north with the sun out and seeing places way to the south of us getting buried by snow.

gyrfalcon said:
NH_Wood said:

Sympathies from western VT, where we got a measly 1/2 in that melted by noon. It's a pretty strange disconnect to be sitting around in the ostensibly frozen north with the sun out and seeing places way to the south of us getting buried by snow.

+1

Got about 2 feet in Bow as well. same story here, have power and now trees or limbs down at all. How am i going to scrounge!

like the previous poster stated, the ice storm of 08 must have removed 90% of the weaker limbs and trees that would have fallen.

We were in CT for the weekend for a wedding, let me tell you, they got less snow, but WAY WAY WAY more damage. trees everywhere. couldnt drive 100 feet without wires or trees on the road. my parents road was half azz plowed with a pickup truck wires down all over hte place trees hanging on power lines, honestly looked worse the the 08 ice storm, frigan unreal.

Attachments

• 316583_593863446150_41900138_32333767_470617716_n.jpg
    316583_593863446150_41900138_32333767_470617716_n.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 268
  • snow0078.jpg
    snow0078.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 239
  • snow0064.jpg
    snow0064.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 228
  • snow0052.jpg
    snow0052.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 235
Great pics.
Thanks,the 1st pic, puts things in perspective. WOW!

BeGreen said:
If you can, shake that snow off of the limbs of the magnolia.

We have a small magnolia, never did grow very big, more like a bush than a tree. Even at 50 years old, the biggest trunk sections were maybe 4-5in diameter. Anyway, a wet heavy snow bent it over and some of the top trunk and branches split or broke. Happy to say, I pruned it all up with a carpenter's saw and took some tree sealer to the cuts, and it had a good season this past summer. It's shorter, but growing as well as ever. So I say don't give up on broken Magnolias unless they have split clear to the ground. The early spring flowers are delightful indeed.

I'll post pics up of the damage here. There's so many trees and power lines over the road it's crazy. Never see. N e thing like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.