Thorns On Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
I looked these up and seems to be Honey Locust- I googled thorny trees and got a picture exactly like these.First one I have ever seen.

Attachments

• SDC10210.jpg
    SDC10210.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 543
  • SDC10209.jpg
    SDC10209.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 1,121
Sure is. Doesn't look like any fun to me!

Great firewood.

Those can be very painful.I've seen large clusters of thorns almost as big as a basketball on some huge old trees up the trunk a ways.Not unusual to see individual thorns 2"-3" long.If you step on one,you'll know it even with steel-toed boots lol.Excellent fuel dead even with most Hickory around here. Up to 10% of the wild population are thornless,I've only seen a couple.Great sturdy shade tree also,shade isnt so dense that it kills the grass underneath.

Ugly stuff. I'm glad we don't have any. We have enough prickly ash and thorn apple so we don't need any of that stuff.

I am glad the ones on my place are thornless, this one is at a neighbors house a couple miles away, I thought it was very unusual so I shared.

That one seems to be far worse than average. I guess you'd have to cut those thorns off with a chainsaw before you buck it.

Wow that looks like it a real pain in the butt to buck!

Those thorns are even fiercer than our blackthorn tree over here :)

It is really great firewood. We burn it along with oak and hedge and get really hot fires out of it. The huge disadvantage are the thorns. They do come off pretty easy by running the saw along the bark of the tree, but it still an extra step in the process. We actually have both thorny and non-thorny locusts here in KS. Sounds silly, but we call them male and female around here. I will let you guys decide which one is which!

Can you imagine the shrapnel when a chainsaw digs into that. WOW!! I stepped on 1 of those thorns once and it went straight across my arch.All the way in.It was some kinda bush though.When i pulled it it was pressure relief from heaven.lol

I have those here. they are a very invasive species. theyll take over if you let them. Great firewood, but be careful. Very hard on tires and skin. as allready stated they make nice shade trees.

The ornamental honey locust are usually thorn free, but the wild ones have the thorns masses on the trunk. My plant taxonomy prof. in college used to say that you weren't a man until you climbed a honey locust naked.......I remember thinking that you wouldn't be a man for very long if you tried climbing one of those naked! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
The ornamental honey locust are usually thorn free, but the wild ones have the thorns masses on the trunk. My plant taxonomy prof. in college used to say that you weren't a man until you climbed a honey locust naked.......I remember thinking that you wouldn't be a man for very long if you tried climbing one of those naked! Cheers!
To funny!! you would either misplace your Lucky Charms on the way up or down.

The thorns work great for keeping critters out of flower beds.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ugly stuff. I'm glad we don't have any. We have enough prickly ash and thorn apple so we don't need any of that stuff.

It is in Michigan. There is a whole row of them right by my place, in Cadillac. And I have seen it most places south of here!

There is not a greedy bone in my body so I am willing that you and they can have all of it.

Dennis, I can make without it! hope someone else will use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.