thought I had bar oiling problem on MS-270-C -- 'was wrong...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
If anyone has had this problem, this may be a free fix...

I bought a used MS-270-C last several weeks back. Cut like crazy, but seemed to have an intermittent oiling problem. The lcl saw shop suggested that if there was a bad spot in the oiler worm drive, it would probably quit oiling and then NOT start oiling again, and that made sense...so I thought, pondered, cogitated...

Although never a pro, I have cut heavy-recreationally for the past 40 years. Always when flipping the bar or adjusting chain-tension, I have put upward-tension on the tip of the bar while re-tightening it to the power-head. However, my "new" saw has a "quick-adjust" chain tensioner. When I looked carefully at the operating manual, they mention upward pressure on the bar-tip while tightening the NON-QUICK-ADJUST model, but they do NOT mention it for my model -- (they don't say not to pull the tip up, they just don't talk about it). So, while adjusting the chain, I tried letting the bar seek its own level while re-tightening: 'Problem seems to be cured.

BTW, I bought the saw to replace an old .025 for bucking/blocking. It is heavier, but you spend less time per cut. I really like the saw. Pretty nifty.

Dexter

Huh...so locking down a hanging bar made it oil better...that is very strange indeed. Good heads up checking the book out for clues I would have missed that.

very strange. are the bar oil holes drilled correctly? You might enlarge them, or take the bar back to the dealer and compare.
I have one quick adjust MS280 and it requires bar up before tightening, just like normal, or it won't hold tension.
something strange.
good detective work though.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.