Three Wood Splitters Going This Morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Me and my two boys hit the wood pile with two mauls, one 6 lbs and one 8 lbs. Also had our almost new Fiskars X27 - 36 inch splitting axe.

My 6 lb maul is very old a vintage True Temper piece that has served me well for over 20 years and my 8 lb maul is a cheapo with a plastic handle that I bought with the intention of letting my boys drive into the ground and sparing my good maul. It turned out that the 8 lb maul was much better than the 6 lb one - go figure.

A few months ago, I bought a Fiskars X27 - 36 inch handle splitting axe - it's a maul to me. I had read a ton of hype on them and decided to give one a try, mainly to give my back a break from swinging the 8 lb maul.

My brother says I ought to buy a log splitter, but I tell him that I've got a couple that I have been paying for - for a long time ;) While I split some wood, the work schedule pretty much limits my time to cutting the firewood and letting my boys do the splitting after school. My oldest has chosen the Fiskars as his weapon of choice on the wood pile.

Fast forward to this morning, we deciced to load-up on some sausage biscuits and hit the woodpile in force. All three of us had a tool in hand, chopping blocks laid out such that we would be safely apart and off we went splitting wood. We changed around who used what tool and when the work was done, I was sold on how much easier it was to split the biggest, baddest blocks of wood with the Fiskars. After I dried-off the sweat and showered, I set down and ordered two more of the X27 splitting axes - one for each of us.

If you DON'T have a Fiskars X27 and are using a maul, you need to try one of these!

Bill

I think you've provided the most accurate comparison test I've seen...

Picked up my X25 at WalMart yesterday morning while out of town traveling to family picnic.Hope to try it out in a couple days if work schedule permits.

Bill it sounds like you had a great day. I'm not one that swings the maul much but you do have me thinking about the Fiskars or should I call it the FISQUADS.

Zap

Love my X27.... Love my MTD 21 ton splitter too. but the Fiskars is great!!

Funny--I'd been reading X27 reviews on Amazon this a.m. when I flipped over, opened your post, went back to Amazon while it loaded, and got a bit confused when I came back--had to check that I wasn't reading another review. But I think you've convinced me to spring for the 27, and keep the 25 by my back door for those moments when I need to give a piece of wood one more whack before it hits the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.