Through the soffit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyosioux

Feb 28, 2010
Bighorn Mtns, WY
Hey guys,
Getting ready to order my chimney pipe and stove pipe for my new PE Summit. I am doing a basement install, going through the wall, up 9', through the soffit (which is 24" wide), and on up from there. My question is, what have you all used to finish off the look on the soffit side to cover up the 2" clearance all the way around the pipe? I was thinking that I would just use either a round or square trim collar. Your thoughts?

I am going with Simpson Duratech pipe and their double wall stove pipe.

Hey Wyosioux

Around my chimney (which comes through the basement wall and up along the outside of the house, through the soffit as you described for your installation), I simply used a piece of white flashing (metal). The color matches the soffit beside it.

Good luck!

Andrew

A 24" soffit is nice and deep. I'm no carpenter, but it would seem like with a 24" soffit that there would be enough roof overhang to run it through the soffit bottom (2+" clearance) and then out the top with a conventional roof flashing and still have a lot of meat (12"?) left on the soffit framing. If so, is there any need to modify the soffit at all other than cutting a hole in the bottom? Picture would help if I am missing something.

I think he means the area around the chimney (that goes through the soffit). Hence, the 2 inch gap between the soffit and the chimney.

He could just use..soffit, no ??

My soffit material is 3/8" plywood, so that is why I need to finish it with something metal. I should have clarified that in my first post. I suppose I will just finish it off with some piece of metal or something. I just wasn't sure if there was something that was made specifically for this purpose or not. It is not that big of a deal, but it is one of the places on the chimney that will easily be seen.

Got it, need to slow down reading. A round ceiling support trim has about a 9" clear hole. It would work, but you would probably want to seal the 1/2" gap to prevent bees from entering.

I'd just go to a sheetmetal shop and get a square of 24 guage cut up. Then cut an 8 1/8" round hole in it to clear the pipe, and pre-drill some screw holes. Give it a nice paint job on both sides to seal from the weather, then install.

I have the exact same setup as you...down to the 24" wood soffit.

I fabbed a square plate with a round hole out of a piece of galvanized sheet metal (about 12x12) I had laying around. Paint to match soffit. High-temp silicon to seal between plate and SS pipe.

I screwed the plate directly into the wood soffit since the only weight it is supporting is it's own.

That will be my plan then. Ordering the rest of the pipe soon!

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will definitely get some pics up when it is all done. Have to wrap up my house painting project first (man, I hate painting!).

Change your soffit to aluminum. Its maintenance free and non combustible.
Doug

Assuming your soffit has a pitch, I don't think a simple round hole is gonna work. I'd cut a template out of cardboard first to make sure I got the shape of the hole right.

Or just cut it big and silicone it...

Status
Not open for further replies.