ThruWall Fan / Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djlarson77

Jun 4, 2010
NW Twin Cities, MN
I'm thinking about getting this through wall fan to move some hot air from my T5 to another room.

http://www.amazon.com/Thru-Wall-Roo...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282146302&sr=8-2

I'm looking for decent looking thermostat to control it (turn it on at around 75 degrees or so). This is the only thing I found so far:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_612108_612108

It isn't exactly the best looking device to put in a finished family room. Most thermostats I'm finding work opposite of what I'm looking to do - turns something on when temp drops below specified setting, unless you can rig normal thermostats to do the opposite. Any suggestions?

I would want to push my cold air to the stove room. With that said and the thermostat on the other side cold side picking up on drop temps and pushing the cold air back to the stove a regular thermostat would do the job.

May be crazy to ask . . . but have you tried using a fan and aiming it towards the stove . . . many folks (me included) find that it helps establish an artificial air current which helps move the heat out of the room with the stove and out to the rooms further away from the stove.

firefighterjake said:
May be crazy to ask . . . but have you tried using a fan and aiming it towards the stove . . . many folks (me included) find that it helps establish an artificial air current which helps move the heat out of the room with the stove and out to the rooms further away from the stove.

Haven't tried anything yet, stove goes in 23 days from now. with my setup, this through wall fan will exit the wall near the ceiling, near the stove. It will enter the stairway (close to the main level living room) going up to the bedrooms. So I'm thinking it will help warm the main level and the upstairs bedrooms.

To the comments about adding air...the family room door will be almost always be open and potentially one or two doors to the crawl space. There are two heat vents I can open when I'm running the furnace fan for air circulation. I'm also using outside air connected to the wood stove. I'm confident I won't be creating negative pressure in this room with a 200 cfm fan.

Suncourt fans, I've used two. shaft on fan motor was unbalanced on one, very noisy. Second one, same as your link, fan speed rheostat failed after 1 week. buddy installed 5 in his place, all 5 failed. They worked well for the first week. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth.

Beetle-Kill said:
Suncourt fans, I've used two. shaft on fan motor was unbalanced on one, very noisy. Second one, same as your link, fan speed rheostat failed after 1 week. buddy installed 5 in his place, all 5 failed. They worked well for the first week. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth.

Worth a lot. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Suncourt, but how hard can it really be to manufacture a fan that works properly. Only 2 reviews on Amazon, though they're both good. Maybe I'll keep looking for another.

MinnesotaGuy said:
CountryBoy19 said:
This product may come in handy. You can set the temp, switch between cooling and heating, and min and max temp. Looks pretty cool, I just happened upon while looking at duct fans.

http://www.espenergy.com/duct_plug_in_thermostat.htm

I'm looking for more of a wall mount unit I can place near the fan.

Quoted from the product description: "Mounts on duct to control In-Line Duct Fans™ or wall mount for ambient

room control "

It's orange

MinnesotaGuy said:
It's orange
Yup, it sure is :)

Either way, I just wanted to point it out to you. It seems like a great multipurpose thermostat system. If you decide blowing the hot air one way when that room gets warmed up isn't working the way you want, you can change it to blow hot air when the other room gets cold, or you can make it blow cold air when one room gets hot or the other gets cold... It just seemed to offer a lot of options so I wanted to point it out to you.

If I were to use something like it I would certainly conceal it somehow.

Thank you, I appreciate your suggestion. :cheese:

I've had this fan for two years now and would buy another if it quit. The first one I had started making a noise. I called the company and they sent me another. What they found was the nuts that hold the motor together started loosened up. They had me tighten a little and the vibration went away. They still sent a new one and wanted to test the old one so they paid for shipping both ways. They stand by their product.

BLIMP said:
fan to another room needs a return air passage. fan works better moving cold air to the heat due to air density

x2

2 holes 1 for a air vent and one for the fan facing the heater.

I have used standard line voltage 120V stats with heat and AC(cooling) switch to control a fan. Put tha stat in the room with the heater in it and set it on AC. anytime the temp goes above your setting the fan will come on. Wiring can be in the wall and not seen as these stats are box mountable. Just need to fish the wire to the fan.

Some where I saw a wireless stat setup. Just can't find my links to it. I am sure someone will post something about it. It has a battery powered controller that mounts anywhere and a box that plugs in and you wire the fan to it. When the stat calls it turns the box power on. I will keep digging. Hard to explain but cool anyway!

I was talking about the Suncourt fan. It runs all the time from October through April.

55 running watts

http://www.suncourt.com/ThruWall208.html

Why would it run all the time when I can set the thermostat for whatever temp I want? I'm thinking maybe 75 degrees would be a good starting point. If the fire goes out because I'm not home - temp drops below 75 - fan goes off.

Makes sense using a thermostat on AC setting.

MinnesotaGuy, if you install one, I'd not hardwire it until you know it is what you want. See if you can temp. it close to where you plan on using it. Norm has had good luck with his, mabey I was part of a bad batch. And yeah, they're customer service is pretty good. The one I had with the bad shaft was replaced by them. It's still in the box, 'cause I decided to upgrade to the variable speed model. We ordered 6 at once, plus my buddy ordered a in-line duct fan. All 6 rheostats failed, and I did not contact the company for replacement. His in-line fan works quite well, but had to be isolated with rubber adapters, to reduce the noise it generated. It's just what happened, hope your luck is different.

I ended up going with the Suncourt TW208P. Seemed like the best all around throughwall fan: quiet, rotatable grill, variable fan speed, low electricity consumption, and relatively cheap ($68 shipped from Smarthome). I talked with Suncourt directly and they said they had some problems in the past with these units, but they've been corrected and they have very few returns....we'll see.

Found the perfect thermostat for the fan at Grainger for $22.57

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/w...uery=2E158&op=search&Ntt=2E158&N=0&sst=subset

MinnesotaGuy said:
I ended up going with the Suncourt TW208P. Seemed like the best all around throughwall fan: quiet, rotatable grill, variable fan speed, low electricity consumption, and relatively cheap ($68 shipped from Smarthome). I talked with Suncourt directly and they said they had some problems in the past with these units, but they've been corrected and they have very few returns....we'll see.

Found the perfect thermostat for the fan at Grainger for $22.57

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/w...uery=2E158&op=search&Ntt=2E158&N=0&sst=subset
hope u didnt buy the gangbox for $10.47!

j-takeman said:
http://www.smarthome.com/7144/Thermo-Cube/p.aspx

I found this while browsing. On at 78ºF and of at 70ºF. Cheap price too!
great gizmo & they come with different temp ranges!

Status
Not open for further replies.