Tick and flea one-spot application for cats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My cat recently battled a problem with ear mites, but a week of doctor-prescribed ear drops and a month of having the Revolution one-spot stuff on him has knocked them back. I don't see him scratch his ears as often anymore. His is an inside/outside cat and can pick up a lot of ticks in our wooded backyard. I would like to continue giving him the Revolution product but it does not work on ticks - only fleas and ear mites. I have previously used the Advantage product and that worked well for ticks. But it seems there is no one product that will work for both fleas and ticks on cats. I guess I could give both but the products are outrageously expensive. Has anybody found a working solution to manage both fleas and ticks on a cat?

I want to continue giving another month of the Revolution to ensure I knock out the ear mites but am already seeing small ticks on him.

Veterinarian chiming in here....

First of all, i will say i am rather surprised by your problem... in 10+ yrs of experience in vet med, I can probably count the number of cats with tick problems on one hand... that being cats with ticks ATTACHED to them. I attribute that to the fact that cats (vs dogs, other animals) groom themselves so much more diligently so ticks aren't nearly as much of an issue. Now, cats can definitely carry ticks that can be spread to people, etc.

Beyond that, we can get into a short discussion on flea/tick meds... it's tough to actually "repel" ticks... A medication may be considered effective by preventing a tick from biting but may allow a tick to stay on the animal for short periods of time.

So, back to revolution... In dogs, Revolution works on some ticks which would lead me to believe it has some efficacy in cats but it just may be a function of Pfizer not wanting to pay the extra $$ (as in millions) to get the efficacy studies to say "Repels x,y,z ticks in cats"

Personally, I recommend Frontline as the flea and tick preventative of choice in dogs and cats. In cats, revolution does have some advantages over Frontline- it prevents heartworm, ear mite, and intestinal parasites. But if ticks or fleas are your main problem, reach for the Frontline.

Last thing, climbing onto soapbox: Be VERY wary of any OTC flea/tick preventatives, especially in cats. The 20-30 yr old pesticides used in those products cause a lot of reactions in cats and some are very severe and life-threatening. Oh, and NEVER EVER use a product labeled for dogs on a cat... very easy way to kill a cat.

Unfortunately, parasite prevention isn't one of those areas to cut corners on... pay the $$ for the good products (Frontline, Advantage, Revolution). Avoid products from Hartz, Sargents, etc. There are ways to save costs on pet ownership (that's a whole other ball of wax) but bottom line, this isn't an area to cut corners.

Good luck!

Exmasonite said:
Veterinarian chiming in here....

First of all, i will say i am rather surprised by your problem... in 10+ yrs of experience in vet med, I can probably count the number of cats with tick problems on one hand... that being cats with ticks ATTACHED to them. I attribute that to the fact that cats (vs dogs, other animals) groom themselves so much more diligently so ticks aren't nearly as much of an issue. Now, cats can definitely carry ticks that can be spread to people, etc.

Beyond that, we can get into a short discussion on flea/tick meds... it's tough to actually "repel" ticks... A medication may be considered effective by preventing a tick from biting but may allow a tick to stay on the animal for short periods of time.

So, back to revolution... In dogs, Revolution works on some ticks which would lead me to believe it has some efficacy in cats but it just may be a function of Pfizer not wanting to pay the extra $$ (as in millions) to get the efficacy studies to say "Repels x,y,z ticks in cats"

Personally, I recommend Frontline as the flea and tick preventative of choice in dogs and cats. In cats, revolution does have some advantages over Frontline- it prevents heartworm, ear mite, and intestinal parasites. But if ticks or fleas are your main problem, reach for the Frontline.

Last thing, climbing onto soapbox: Be VERY wary of any OTC flea/tick preventatives, especially in cats. The 20-30 yr old pesticides used in those products cause a lot of reactions in cats and some are very severe and life-threatening. Oh, and NEVER EVER use a product labeled for dogs on a cat... very easy way to kill a cat.

Unfortunately, parasite prevention isn't one of those areas to cut corners on... pay the $$ for the good products (Frontline, Advantage, Revolution). Avoid products from Hartz, Sargents, etc. There are ways to save costs on pet ownership (that's a whole other ball of wax) but bottom line, this isn't an area to cut corners.

Good luck!

Agreed. The cat doesn't usually have a tick problem in generally although I do often find small ticks around his eyes and he's not docile when it comes to using tweezers to get them off. We manage as I know how to hold him firmly to keep him from squirming too much. I worry both about the small ones that get on him as well as the ones he brings into the house and get on us.

Also agreed - I don't buy the OTC although in the past have bought the larger vials of Frontline for dogs and used the smaller dosages prescribed for cats. I am under the impression the formulation is the same and just the quantity administered should be changed appropriately.

Am I OK applying both Frontline and Revolution at the same time?

Yes, your are right about the frontline being the same... there are SOME exceptions to my statement about dog meds on cats (Frontline being one of them, etc).

I have no problem using revolution and FL together. I'd probably put them on 2-3 days apart though. Can't say why... i just wonder if it's possible to overload the dermal absorption by doubling up the amount of medication. Probably not toxic but can't remember the specifics on each one so i'd just do it a few days apart.

I gotta chime in here.

I am a firm believer in keeping cats INDOORS. For one, I feed birds yearround and I would have a fit if a cat used my feeding area as a restaurant. Second, there's rabies out there; a lot of it is in feral cats. Third, as you report, there are TICKS out there.

Isn't your house plenty big enough for your cat to explore/play without having to go out?

Just sayin'...

Nancy

Chime in all you want as long as you are providing direct answers to my question. You are correct - keeping my cat inside will keep the ticks off it. Thank you for mentioning it but I will not be taking any of your advice. Go start your own thread and I'll stay out of it.

PopCrackleSnap said:
I gotta chime in here.

I am a firm believer in keeping cats INDOORS. For one, I feed birds yearround and I would have a fit if a cat used my feeding area as a restaurant. Second, there's rabies out there; a lot of it is in feral cats. Third, as you report, there are TICKS out there.

Isn't your house plenty big enough for your cat to explore/play without having to go out?

Just sayin'...

Nancy

Guess you feel the same way about dogs?

smokinjay said:
PopCrackleSnap said:
I gotta chime in here.

Just sayin'...

Nancy

Guess you feel the same way about dogs?
Well, dogs aren't a problem as far as birds are concerned. We've got a couple of outdoor cats and we have to put obstacles around the feeding stations to prevent the cats from nailing birds.

A bell on the cat's collar can help reduce this problem.

+1 to the Bell on the collar. That just seems obvious.
You cannot keep my cat indoors after March 1st, to much to do , explore, hunt-- be a cat.
Exmasonite--- thanks for the free Vet advice, I am shopping a HW , Flea product for my Dog right now. Any thoughts on deworming meds for the Cat.?

Mainstation-

I actually think Revolution for kitties is the "total package". Does HW, flea, ear mites, and intestinal parasites (among a few other things). Now, the reason it covers intestinal worms is b/c cats groom themselves so much so they end up ingesting enough to deworm themselves. I love revolution as a product (and I don't work for pfizer) but don't like it in dogs b/c of the lack of intestinal parasite coverage.

As far as a general oral dewormer for kitties... not much "preventative" unfortunately but if you dose frequently, you can keep animals effectively parasite free. Strongid/Nemex/Pyrantel Pamoate (all diff names for same drug) is a good general dewormer.

One more word on the revolution... anecdotally, it seems to be the "weakest" of the topical flea meds, as in i think i hear a few more complaints about people having cats/dogs with fleas while on it. But by more, i mean 2-3% complaints total vs 0-1% complaints for frontline or advantage. Still very few.

As far as rabies and kitties.... I think there's FAR more rabies in our skunk/raccoon/bat populations (depending on your location) than in cats or dogs. But like Jay said, if you're going to make that claim, i'd say the same goes for dogs. Hell, have you seen a playground lately? I'd be a proponent of random checking of children for rabies (or any other neurologic disease). Children be CRAZY!

Status
Not open for further replies.