"Ticking" Wood Stove | Vermont Castings Intrepid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captainehh

Jan 24, 2011
Portland, OR
Awesome site! So glad I found it.

I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid wood stove (1980 model) that I bought used and refinished. https://www.stovesandspas.com/pdf/intrepid.pdf

I installed it in an existing fireplace in my living room using the Ventinox direct connect kit. http://www.protechinfo.com/VENTINOX-Direct-Connect-Kits-c252.html

It worked great from the start, but has developed a strange noise over time. It "ticks" when not in use. The tick sounds almost like a grandfather clock. It occurs most frequently when the stove is cold and the damper is open with the doors shut. The noise is still there, but quieter when the damper is shut with the doors closed (cold stove). The noise goes away when the stove is in use or if the front doors are slightly ajar when the stove is not in use.

The noise sounds like it's coming from the back of the unit near the exhaust outlet (top of stove). Almost like someone is gently tapping the stove with a screwdriver to keep time.

Something is probably loose internally? Please help!

Thanks!

It could be the thermostatic air control flapper. I used to call that noise grandma tapping. When it is just hanging, and air demand is neutral, it can tap tap tap regularly. An easy fix is to place a tiny magnet on the lower, outside edge of the flapper. That way when it is closed, it will stay closed until the thermostat calls for heat. A little 1/4" round magnet will do the trick.

+1- I think BeGreen has identified the goulish (and nerve racking) ticking sound.

Remkel said:
+1- I think BeGreen has identified the goulish (and nerve racking) ticking sound.

I was going to say the same thing. This happens on our VC Vigilant, also. Not too noticeable because the stove is in Great Room and we spend most of our daytime hours - TV, etc, - in another room. If it bothers you, just manually adjust the thermostat/spring to open the flap a little more, or close it a little tighter.

Thank you BeGreen and Remkel!

Where can I find the "thermostatic air control flapper" in my stove?

A schematic of all parts in the Intrepid is on page 28 of the link I included in my first post (the file of the page is too large to attach).

Thanks!

Remkel said:

Interesting. I have not noticed this on either stove.

Follow the chain down from the primary air control. It connects to the air intake flap (#58).

BrowningBAR said:
Remkel said:

Interesting. I have not noticed this on either stove.

The flue might have a part in this too. Our resolute was on a shortish stack. It starts tapping when conditions are just right and the flap reaches a state of neutral tension. Not enough draft to pull it closed and no chain tension. Either that or you need to turn down Metallica. :)

I hung a fishing wieght on the flapper and that has resolved the problem. Right where the chain connects to the flap, there is an eyelet to connect the wieght to. I have a VC Defiant, so it is similar.

My Defiant makes this same sound sometimes. It is reflective sheet metal heat shields on either side of the refractory box as the exhaust exits it. They are not bolted or sealed and just sit in their place and rattle when the air flow is just right.

Sorry, didn't finish reading your post about the sound happening when "not in use". Ignore me plz

magnets, weights, duct tape, allwork. Or you might just leave the "flapper" open ! Works on my Defiant III.

Status
Not open for further replies.