Timberline - Incredible Gift by a Forum Member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
All,

I wanted to share with you the incredible generosity of a member on this forum. This person (who wishes to remain anonymous) saw a post I made talking about how I really wanted to get the Timberline sharpener, I was on the fence due to the cost, but had made up my mind I wanted to get this sharpener. I have always had to take my chains to the dealer (I can't hand file for anything!)

The amazing part is, I ruined my newly sharpened chains on Saturday on a nail in a tree I was bucking, and I was debating all day what I should do about buying this. I woke up on Sunday to a totally unprompted message by this member saying that they had thought about it, and wanted to give me their Timberline sharpener as a random act of generosity. All this person asked was that I "pass it on" when I get the opportunity.

I got to know this person through PM's, and I have to say, we have some incredible members on this forum! The amount of knowledge and generosity, and the willingness to share that knowledge on this forum is incredible.

I was thrilled to death to get the package today (they even went out of their way to get it shipped asap) and I CANT WAIT to try it! I am just awaiting my 3/16" carbide bit to come which I ordered yesterday, and then I will be getting to sharpening!

I will post an update to this just as soon as I try it out, but I wanted to share this amazing act of generosity with you all now. Seriously, I am still taken aback, this forum is by far the best I have ever joined.

Thanks to this anonymous member, and thanks to everyone else for the knowledge you continue to share with me!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 186
Nice to hear a story like that. I agree with you, there are some REALLY good people here on Hearth.com, and it is fantastic to hear a story like this. I consider everyone on here (yes even the ones I don't agree with politically all the time, too) brothers and sisters of mine, and I am glad to be a part of this awesome community of people........

I have a feeling I know who that member is, and if it is who I believe it to be, he is one awesome guy. Either way, nice to hear a story like that. I agree with you, there are some REALLY good people here on Hearth.com, and it is fantastic to hear a story like this. I consider everyone on here (yes even the ones I don't agree with politically all the time, too) brothers and sisters of mine, and I am glad to be a part of this awesome community of people........

X2..... The people here are Great, The knowledge is unbelievable, and things like this, are exactly why this place is, what it is.

I found the Timberline to be an Amazing Tool. Take your time and learn how to properly set it up and it should last for yrs. We all owe Briank (he started it right?) A Big thanks because of the Hearth Discount....

X2..... The people here are Great, The knowledge is unbelievable, and things like this, are exactly why this place is, what it is.

I found the Timberline to be an Amazing Tool. Take your time and learn how to properly set it up and it should last for yrs. We all owe Briank (he started it right?) A Big thanks because of the Hearth Discount....

Its amazing what happens when you just ask, huh?

My Timberline is working GREAT! I finally figured out how to get it set up right (I needed to tighten the set screws tighter, the unit was popping up on me, causing the carbide to ride up out of the curvature of the cutters), and the edge it puts on my two Stihls is simply amazing.

I need to pick up a carbide for my brother-in-law's older Husky 51. (Anyone have an idea which one it uses?)

Reactions: ScotO
Its amazing what happens when you just ask, huh?

My Timberline is working GREAT! I finally figured out how to get it set up right (I needed to tighten the set screws tighter, the unit was popping up on me, causing the carbide to ride up out of the curvature of the cutters), and the edge it puts on my two Stihls is simply amazing.

I need to pick up a carbide for my brother-in-law's older Husky 51. (Anyone have an idea which one it uses?)

If you have the a 3/8" chain and it doesn't fit his, then its a 3/16" carbide bit..

Thanks again BrianK, (I knew I had it right ;)) We All Appreciate it.....!

Reactions: ScotO and Normande
That is awesome. I've always been a fan of paying forward.

That really is great, this place rocks!

P S Scotty, I really want a 372XP:p

Nice!

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Another example of what makes hearth.com such a unique site . . . many members here offer up more than just helpful advice . . . many go one step further . . . so to whoever the mysterious benefactor is . . . I raise my Husky in salute to you . . . cut on!

That is awesome.

I have seen many random acts of kindness throughout my years on this site. From sending a young lad that was interested in stove MFG to a large show, to helping Katrina victims, to helping another forum member in one fashion or another... and a few more. It is like extended family.

Craig, the mods and the members here run a class act.

Well Said fellas.

Right. I know a couple fellows on this forum who would do such a thing and want nothing in return. Great guys.

All,

I wanted to share with you the incredible generosity of a member on this forum. This person (who wishes to remain anonymous) saw a post I made talking about how I really wanted to get the Timberline sharpener, I was on the fence due to the cost, but had made up my mind I wanted to get this sharpener. I have always had to take my chains to the dealer (I can't hand file for anything!)

The amazing part is, I ruined my newly sharpened chains on Saturday on a nail in a tree I was bucking, and I was debating all day what I should do about buying this. I woke up on Sunday to a totally unprompted message by this member saying that they had thought about it, and wanted to give me their Timberline sharpener as a random act of generosity. All this person asked was that I "pass it on" when I get the opportunity.

I got to know this person through PM's, and I have to say, we have some incredible members on this forum! The amount of knowledge and generosity, and the willingness to share that knowledge on this forum is incredible.

I was thrilled to death to get the package today (they even went out of their way to get it shipped asap) and I CANT WAIT to try it! I am just awaiting my 3/16" carbide bit to come which I ordered yesterday, and then I will be getting to sharpening!

I will post an update to this just as soon as I try it out, but I wanted to share this amazing act of generosity with you all now. Seriously, I am still taken aback, this forum is by far the best I have ever joined.

Thanks to this anonymous member, and thanks to everyone else for the knowledge you continue to share with me!

That's amazing ! It is a good sharpener and a great reminder of why so many people love hearth.com. It really is like a big family !

Pete

It being a year later, I hope that he is happy with the Timberline. I wanted to remain anonymous at the time. Was gonna offer it up in the For sale section. But after reading some of his posts, I decided to just give it away.

He was a young individual who was just getting started with his cutting. I now have 2 elec chain grinders and would never look back.

I ended up shipping my MM out to him to test his wood as I will never need it again.

I only asked that be pay it forward. Which in the months following, he sent me PM's stating how he had done so.

Timberline makes a good sharpener. But for someone who wants to do 10 chains at a time a grinder is the way to go.

Hope all is well Jwoair23...

Dex, that was really cool!! I also did benefit on a different forum from a member sending me a tool no strings attached and I always think of his kindness when using it. What grinders do you use now?

An Oregon and Timber Tuff. For the money, the Timber Tuff is a heck of a grinder. Its basically the same as Northern Tools. Northerns goes for $100 when on sale. Prob the best grinder for the money.

Dont buy one with a plastic frame. They work, but flex a lot and don't give very consistent results.

Dont buy one with a plastic frame. They work, but flex a lot and don't give very consistent results.

Ya gotta be real particular, but they can be made to work. I have the original "Nick the Grinder" and have figured out how to make it do its job pretty well. But that came with some fiddling.

Reactions: DexterDay
Just got the foot operated clamp setup on my Stihl USG. Gonna have to lock me up 6 feet under before I give that one up. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.