Time for an upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty0844

Dec 7, 2009
Eastern Shore,Maryland
So after 2 seasons with my good ole 12, it's time to retire it to my mancave aka my garage and put a new stove in the house. So I'll begin with my setup. My pad is 60" out from the wall by 65" wide. My pad and wall are built with 3/4" plywood and 1.5" permabase concrete board with ceramic tile on top. My wall protection extends about 16" above where the pipe goes into the thimble. Chimney is 26' interior 8x8 with a 6" stainless liner which drafts like a champ! I'm heating a 1600sqft 1.5 story cape with excellent insulation but is not very tight.

Now on to what I'm looking for. I don't want a stove that will run us out of the house. Sometimes our 12 does that. I'd really rather not have to rip out my existing hearth to accommodate a new stove, but I will if I have to. I've been given a $2000 cap by the boss(the wife). I've really been eyeing up an Englander 13 or 30, but also considering a F50 and Quadrafire 2100 or 3100. I've read a bunch on these stoves but I'd really like to hear from you guys. Nothing like real world advice from real pros.

Well, a 13 would drop right in. It would also leave money left over for a good insulated liner etc if you don't already have one.

Napoleon makes some decent stoves for short money that would work, 1100 line, maybe even the 1400 line.

BK Briarwood would work, or BK Royal Guardian.

I love Jotul Stoves.

Small Woodstock anyone? Great looking stoves!!

Not necessarily the same footprint, but something that would fit on my existing hearth if possible.

The 13NC has some stiff hearth insulation requirements. I would look at the Napoleon 1450 or a PE Super 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.