Time is no help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouthead

Oct 29, 2010
Wyoming
The natural gas company is slow with putting in the line, so my wife has more time to ruminate concerning stoves. "We" have narrowed it down to the following brands, Regency, Hearthstone and Quadra- Fire.

Regency has had some good comments, but I know next to nothing about Q uadra Fire. My neighbor bought a Hearthstone, but he is in the same boat as I am still waiting on the gas company.

So idle hands....... are looking for comments on Hearthstone, Quadra Fire and even Regency. Thanks, and remember time is not your friend, or at least certainly not mine.

We currently sell Regency and Hearthstone gas products and I sold quad gas products for 14 years on Long Island. You cant go wrong with any of these stoves in regards to the quality. Knowing that you always run the risk of a service call, I would buy a product from a dealer with a good reputation who you trust with the install and the after the sale service. Not sure what size your looking at, but for straight performance, the Hearthstone Sterling is a beast of a heater. The Regency U series with the Bay window has one of the best flames I've seen. Not sure what the new Quads look like, its been a few years.

Gas line to the house was run and checked for leaks yesterday. All is as it should be. Plumber comes to run lines in the crawlspace on Friday after T-giving. Today we are going to the only stove store within 120 miles to look at Harman,(a new entry) Hearthstone and Quadra. Regency just got the ax due to my wife's comment " if you want it buy it but its ugly" My mama didn't raise no fools.

I think the final decision will be based on the following factors #1 shiney enamel, #2 price, #3 flame quality. We are going to go big. Figure at 5500 ft we will loose at least 10% so a 40K BTU ends up a 36kBTU and I would like the option of heating up the house fast. On the other hand my wife would like the option of keeping it at 78 degrees 24 hours a day:)

I am excited. We have been trying to get the gas company to run a line to our subdivision (Wyoming style with only 11 house on 30 acres) for 30 years. At one point they were going to do it for free if enough (5) households hooked up. We could only get four. The next summer wer had 5 but the gas company had changed hands and would no longer do it for free. When I was in my mid 20s I liked to cut wood, at 58 I am not into cutting wood, and golf seems a better way to spend spare time. Cut and split dry pine (various different species) runs $160-190. Pellets $250 a ton. Gas .65 a therm. In any price comparison gas wins out hads down (not counting coal) which I hate, after living in West Virginia and smelling it for one winter.

We were all set for getting a pellet stove but then the gas oportunity came along. Gas is so cheap in Wyoming nothing else other than "free" wood makes any sense. Never figure the "real cost of a cord of wood that I cut myself, but I would guess $50 and 8 hours time to cut split and stack. Not my idea of fun. Hardwood, might change the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.