Time to get busy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
The entire pile is about 20' long. In the very rear of the stack is cherry & ash. The high part of the stack is from 3 maples my neighbors had taken down that were between 30" & 44" diameter. As reference, the roof line of the shed is about 9' high. From where the fence pole forward is some 18" > 36" diameter oak logs I cut up yesterday that the city dropped off for me. Started splitting that today & I have never came across so much "shredded wheat" from oak before. The entire tree has a major radial twist to it. To try and get useable wood instead of kindling, I ended up taking the large chunks that split off & turning them on their side & lining up the grain with the blade & splitting them that way.
Al

Attachments

• wood1a.jpg
    wood1a.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 407
  • wood1b.jpg
    wood1b.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 406
  • wood1c.jpg
    wood1c.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 395
  • wood1e.jpg
    wood1e.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 396
Dang! Nice woodpile. Guessing 20x7x5, I get ~5.5 cords. Please let us know what you net from that. BTW how do you get so much in so little space? My piles of rounds end up being 'suburban sprawl'. :)

Start swingin that maul 30 minutes a day and the pile will be gone before the 4th of July, plus you'll be in better shape.

Wood Duck said:
Start swingin that maul 30 minutes a day and the pile will be gone before the 4th of July, plus you'll be in better shape.
Forget the maul if you want to beat the heat. Go for the hydraulics and git 'er done, then go hang out at the air-conditioned mall. Being in shape is over-rated anyway. You'll get enough exercise using the splitter.

Very nice pile of wood! Yes, it is a lot of work but it is satisfying work. But get it split asap so it can dry. Let us know how much you get from that stack if possible.

Finished splitting the oak today. Actually I finished shredding it. I have a small stove so I usually mix up the size of the rounds. Some of the oak rounds were only cut to about 12". The tree had grown in such a spiral (even though the trunk looked straight) that when I split the 12", the chunks that wound off were almost 18". Not only the limbs but the entire trunk was like that. I ended up with an incredible amount of small chunks that either broke or were sheared off. On a lot of the pieces, the ends were so far out of alignment that I had to lay the pieces down to line the grain up with the blade & then split that way. In retrospect I should have just noodled everything. I would have ended up with more useable pieces of wood that could even be stacked. I ended up with about 3/4 of a cord that took me about 8 hours of splitting time. I probably could have noodled everything in about 1 1/2 hours.
Al

I can see the twist in the bark. Even the 12" rounds look scary!

Sounds like you had your hands full with that bunch. I hate noodling...

Last time I had to noodle red maple and white pine I filled 2 hefty bags and sold them to the pet store...Made myself $5 a bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.