tin ceiling tiles vs. stone surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sonja_p

Apr 22, 2009
CO
Hi all,
I'm new here and am in need of some advice. We have a wood stove in a corner. We would like to get some heat to radiate out into the room a bit better. I was wondering if tin ceiling tiles as a surround would do the trick. I have read about some people using stone and I like that idea also. The tiles would be easier to install and not take up so much space, but if it's nothing more than decorative I don't think I want to go that route.
Also, if we do stone, would manufactured stone be acceptable? We have a lot left over from a previous project.
Thanks!

True tin tiles would definitely radiate heat back into the room somewhat. Things to keep in mind. Make sure the wall is the proper distance from the stove if combustible. Also dont apply the tiles with anything flammable. I would think nails/brads would be preferable. As far as the imitation stone, you want to make sure all the above as well as that the stone is not flammable if closer than the min clearances for combustibles listed for your stove. Of the two if you are trying to radiate heat, the tin is going to work better.

I actually considered something like this myself . . . both for the aesthetic look and to perhaps radiate some heat out to the room. I think at this point, after having gone a heating season with nothing on the wall other than painted sheetrock that I'll probably stick with what I have . . . although this could be an option in the future if I want to "dress" up the stove a bit . . . maybe some antique looking copper tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.