Tips for bending soft copper line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFridge

Feb 22, 2015
hi friends.
Have to run some 1/2 soft copper line.

Been practicing my flaring and have that down but bending is another issue.

I have a hand bender. Not the greatest hand bender mind you.
It's essentially a lollipop type bender. Circle on the end of a handle with a catch. Put the end of the line in then gently bend it around the curve.

Thing is....even slow bending the pipe sends to crimp or crush on a 90 deg bend.

Any tips?
Should I pre-heat?

Would love some expert advice.

Thanks.

I bend copper tubing on a daily basis at work. You cannot go too fast. Also, make sure the tubing is straight before you start bending. If the tubing is not straitened out first, it is more prone to kinking. Pre heating is unnecessary, and not recommended. Take your time. Half inch copper should bend quite easily.

Get yourself a bag of fine sand, like beach sand or something similar.
Seal one end & pour the sand into the tubing, filling it past the spot where the bend will be.
It will support the ID & prevent collapsing/kinking during the bending process.

Why do you even need a bender? Do you have to go around a tight corner? Half inch copper is easy to work with. If you use the sand idea, make sure the tubing is cleaned out VERY well. I would consider that to be a last resort. I'm not even sure if I would do it then. Just my opinion. I have worked with copper for 15+ years. No offense to anyone.

I think part of the problem was I was practicing on on scrap 50yr old copper. It is pretty tough.
Possibly when I break open the new box of type L, it will be easier.
Going to try and do an uninterrupted 40' run with about 8 90deg bends.

Should be interesting for a first time deal.

Thing is....being a perfectionist, I want perfect, good looking bends.
Life would be easier if I didn't give a s..t.

So how about a flairing tip?
Been leaving 1/8 above the flairing tool but at times I'd doesn't look like enough for a tight seal.

Any more soft copper line tips would be great.

I really appreciate the responses here and the knowledge.
I've been on many forums and this one is looking like a keeper.

I posted another thread about hooking up a dual heating tank system. The underground 2line 600 gal and an above ground, single line 275 with a tigerloop. Both tanks are good but wanted to plumb them both into the thermopride via a switching valve.
It's only a matter of time before the underground develops an issue.

Thanks again friends.

Old copper is definitely harder to bend than new tubing. Flaring tips vary a lot depending on the type of tool. The one I use at work needs the copper about 1/8 above the block, but my personal one requires the copper to be flush with the block. Follow the instructions. You are right, this forum is fantastic. Are you double flaring, or single?

Use a small or large steel coffee can depending on how tight of a bend you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.