Tips on buying a used Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zendiagrams

Dec 29, 2007
Williams, PA
skinner.org
We decided to go with the second pellet stove in our basement. Though, we are going to keep the fireplace and skip the insert and put a second free standing one. I am considering getting a used unit, looking at craigslist etc.

Besides the obvious question I have to ask the person of is it hooked up, or is it outside and can I run it to make sure it works. What are some other tips in either things to ask, or things to look for in a reliable used unit?

My theory is that some one is getting rid on the stove for a reason
so unless it is a GREAT deal I like to stay away from used stoves
Why inhearet someone else's problem child

For the most part, I agree with you hearthtools, but in my situation, I was able to get a good condition (albiet older) pellet stove for $500. The reason the owner was selling it was that her husband was the only one who knew how to run and clean it. She knew how to put pellets in it, but that's it. Sadly, he passed away, so the stove just sat. She was so happy to see it go to a good home and keep people warm like it had done for them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may not be common, but there are some good deals out there :)

Yes if you get it and a good price then yes
I look at it
Add up the cost of changing all the important parts
and see if it is about half of a new stove.
If less than half then it is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.