tl300 questions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King George

Oct 8, 2012
hi,
I'm new here.
I bought my tl300 last November & its my first wood stove. I am heating 2,700 sq. ft. brick single.
I have been having several issues from different causes & not sure what to do at this point.
I have a properly install double wall stainless 6" chimney, even the inside pipe is double wall which makes it hard to monitor pipe temp.
last winter not all my wood was seasoned long enough & I fought with getting the after burner to burn properly, the dealer I purchased it from did not provide a thermostat or any type of suggestions or info, he just said watch the video, well I ended up over firing my stove for several reasons, one I did not know how hot the stove was getting nor did I know what temp was considered over firing, now I have several cracked bricks on the sides & the large dampner door frame is warped. when I was not able to get the after burner to kickin I would just make it hotter, now I know that was a bad idea. I talked with another dealer this past summer & they sold me a thermostat & provided me with better info on how to use the stove. but now I can see flames pull at the door opening for the large dampner when it is closed & I cannot get my chimney to stop smoking with a 4" amber bed. I am using 2 year old wood that was stored 6 inches off the ground in a shed. should I call the dealer I bought it from? the dealer that sold me the thermostat did not seem to want to help to much since I did not buy it from them, nor would I expect them to. should I try to contact Harman?
I have searched on here & read most of the posts on Harman stoves & have learned a lot, but I am now wishing I bought a different stove.
I wanted a wood stove cause I thought it would help relieve my stress, not cause more.
thanks
george

i also notice what looks like glitter on the inside of the glass the second night I used the stove this season.
I did install a pipe dampner the end of last season to try to slow down non ab burns since I could not keep the non ab temp down.
thanks again
george

KG, worry not....Since you've been lurking you know help is on the way....I'll speak on your broken firebrick, don't get it from the dealer.....they'll charge you double or triple, just from reading here i know that.....Go to a masonry yard, or whatever the term is, and get it from them...Others will chime in soon....good luck!

I wonder if you're getting enough draft - how tall is the chimney?

How quickly are you shutting back the air after you get the coal bed? Are you doing it in stages after you reload?

How long was the wood in the shed? Was it dry when it was put in there? Wood dries best when stacked in single rows in the sun, and more importantly, wind. If it was put in the shed green, it is likely a big part of the problem. Get a moisture meter and check it.

I have a properly install double wall stainless 6" chimney
How tall is your chimney? How far does it extend above your roof line? (Pictures?)

, even the inside pipe is double wall which makes it hard to monitor pipe temp.
Try placing another thermometer on your double wall about 18" from the stove, if using a magnetic one do not let it get above 350 before closing the damper.

last winter not all my wood was seasoned long enough & I fought with getting the after burner to burn properly, the dealer I purchased it from did not provide a thermostat or any type of suggestions or info
This was the dealers fault of not providing you with proper instruction, but a thermometer should have been something that you should have thought of especially since you did not know the temps you were running at.

, he just said watch the video
This was a cop out by the dealer.

, well I ended up over firing my stove for several reasons, one I did not know how hot the stove was getting nor did I know what temp was considered over firing
Sorry but you may have difficulty trying to get the damaged parts fixed under warranty.
now I have several cracked bricks on the sides
The bricks can be fixed with furnace cement especially if it is the side bricks.

& the large dampner door frame is warped. but now I can see flames pull at the door opening for the large dampner when it is closed. should I call the dealer I bought it from?
This is something that you need to get fixed, either call the dealer you bought it from or talk to the dealer tha actually seems to want to help you. Note: Ths repair most likely will not be covered due to it being over fired. Actually having the other dealer come and take a look at your stove may be a very good idea, also have him look at your setup for any draft issues or any or issues that may have occurred with the stove or chimeny setup due to the overfiring. I had an issue with my chimney due to letting it get to hot before closing the damper, I actually melted the class A pipe. This may br something that they look at when inspecting your stove.

the dealer that sold me the thermostat did not seem to want to help to much since I did not buy it from them, nor would I expect them to. should I try to contact Harman
Harman does all its work through the dealers so you will either have to work with your original dealer or with the other dealer.

For me I use multiple themometers on my stove, the first one is on the top load door (I try to keep the range between 400-550), the second one is on the double wall pipe about 18" from the stove top (when firing up I close the damper when it hits 350), it may climb up into the 500 range but quickly falls back down to the 200-250 range.

Since the damper door is warped you may have other issues aka: possible chimney issues, I really would not burn it until having the dealer take a good look at the stove and your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.