To all Quad Owners ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
How often do you guys who own Santa Fe or Castille take out the brick plates and top plate to clean out the ash ?? And how often would you recommend ?

I did this about 3.5 weeks ago and cleaned everything out. I did it again today and it was pretty full of ash back there. So I took my very powerfull Shop Vac and cleaned it out really good and cleaned the exchange tubes. Also was able to get the vac tip behind in the exhaust area too. I'm thinking that waiting for a ton to be used is too long to clean that stuff ...

Do a full cleaning then fire up the leafblower and suck out the rest...

This season, since maybe early October, I've cleaned the entire stove twice. That's after about 80 bags.
Since it was warm yesterday also went outside and used the pipe brush on the vent pipe. Good now for at least another ton. I still use that as a rough estimate for when do a good thorough cleaning....also kinda get a feel for how often it's necessary by how "ashy" the pellets have been.

Hank on my Castile I find that it's so quick and easy to remove that top plate and then the two brick panels that I remove them every time I clean out the ashes which is about once a week. Personally I think that by doing so I am able to vacuum the heat exchanger tubes, and take a look at the combustion fan on the Castile.

P.S. I don't know how the how the Santa Fe is, but on my Castile I never pull those two small doors to drop the ash down to the ash pan. I just vacuum all the ash up top. The only ash in my ash pan is what shakes down when I pull the fire pot release rod. During the week if the stove should cycle off I will walk over and pull the release rod a few times.

I clean my stove every 2 days. it's on all the time so I only shut it down for an hour.

I usually clean back plates and tubes about ever 3 days, it only takes about 10 min of time. and the added feeling that my stove is nice and clean and less to worry about.

full sweep of exhaust after ever ton, and motors.

smalltown

Hank on my Castile I find that it’s so quick and easy to remove that top plate and then the two brick panels that I remove them every time I clean out the ashes which is about once a week.

+1

Well, I have a horizonal exhaust going out my house about 2 feet. So its easy for me to take the shop vac and put it all the way in and then suck out the ash. Works good.

I am like "Fish On" every 2 -3 days I let the stove cool off and pop out all the plates and clean and then vacuum. takes 15 minutes...about the same as doing the dishes!!

I also just started using my air compressor and big vacuum once a week after cleaning to blow out the ash around the convection tubes and combustion blower while sucking up with the shop vac....kinda reverse of the leaf blower trick that I do in the spring....keeps the stove amazingly clean.

Former Farmer said:
smalltown

Hank on my Castile I find that it’s so quick and easy to remove that top plate and then the two brick panels that I remove them every time I clean out the ashes which is about once a week.

+1

x2

Hank I clean once a week dropping the top cover and pulling the two plates and vacuum all the ash out . I been using graphite spray on the blower fins and bottom plate of burn pot. 1 ton I clean the pipe and pull the blowers and clean the whole stove. Stove has been trouble free since we bought it. Last couple of days been burning 24 hrs. last night we were down to 2 degrees and not over 25 all day.

Which blowers ??

Clean burn pot daily. Weekly clean includes pulling bricks, clean heat exchangers, fan fins and vac stove and pellet auger. Every ton give it the leaf blower. Have had my Santa Fe for three years without any problems.

what is the graphite thing and what does that do ??

Graphite spray lubricant. The graphite will hold up to the heat. It helps to keep ash and crud from sticking to stuff. Can be used on hinges and door latches also if they are sticking.

I bought some at Graniger once, probably sell it at hardware stores also.

How do you get to the fins to do it ??

Pull the brick in front of blower then you will be able to spray the fins on Castile I bought mine at Home Depot about $3.50 a can, I spray mine every time I do my weekly cleaning. Keeps the fins clean and I think quieter

How do you spray it, there is just a hole there when you pull the brick plate off....

Hank I have the castile and after removing the right brick the whole impeller is visable. Looks like the santa fe is different you might have to pull the blower to clean and graphite it. I do this every ton of pellets I bought a new gasket last time and you should have one before pulling your ex blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.