To insulate or not to insulate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

Aug 10, 2012
Wilmington, NC
I've had 5 different hearth/chimney contractors come to the house and inspect the fireplace/remainder of the chimney that came with the house. The previous owners removed the chimney below the roof line after they had a chimney fire.

Chimney guy #1 (CSIA) wants $3100 to do a 6" SS liner with thermix in the existing masonry and then rebuild the chimney with masonry to the required height

Chimney guy #2 says he won't do the job due to possible structural issue related to the chimney fire that cannot be seen without tearing fireplace apart. (This guy seemed annoyed the entire time, never introduced himself nor shook my hand which I must say is a first for a contractor coming by the house)

Fireplace store guy quotes $3100 to do a 6" SS liner with thermix and a class A from the existing masonry to the required height

Chimney guy #3 off hand quotes $15000... Not sure why, but also had a less than great BBB rating so we simply parted ways.

Chimney guy #4 (NCSG) quotes $3000 to do a 6" SS line to the top of existing masonry and then do a class A from there, build SS chase and put siding on it.

So the decision is really between #1 and #4, but #4 didn't state using thermix. The masonry section is probably 12' and the class A section would be another 12'. Is thermix really necessary? If so I'll ask him to revise his quote to include using it. I assume once you pour that down your flue it and the liner are there forever. As for the chimney it starts in the basement and the goes up the "outside" wall through a 3 season room (unheated) before it comes out the roof. Is that considered an exterior chimney then since the room is unheated. The masonry in that room is framed around/drywalled over so its difficult to say what condition it is in. They did say the clay tiles are intact.

I've had 5 different hearth/chimney contractors come to the house and inspect the fireplace/remainder of the chimney that came with the house. The previous owners removed the chimney below the roof line ....

I had a similar issue with an old chimney that had been demo'd below the roof line. I thought it would be possible to run a stainless liner up, switch over to Class A and exit the roof. Not one installer of a half dozen that I spoke with would touch it. They said there was no way to transition from a liner to Class A that would meet code. Building the masonry back up was an option that pushed the price up over $3,500 as I recall.

It's too late for me now and I'm happy with the install I have, but I'd still be curious to hear about how you get yours done.

PJ

Only the one said they wouldn't touch it and given his attitude I still don't understand why he came in the first place. Given I have three different people who said it could be done and all 3 said it could be done by running a SS liner to a transition plate to a Class A its seems reasonable. All were licensed/issured through the state so they aren't guy with truck type off CL people.

My only question was whether or not I needed the added insulation in the existing masonry chimney? It sounds like a good idea both for insulation and structural rigidity reasons. From everything I've read I should have a block off plate with insulation above the stove/insert and you'd need a block off plate to install the thermix correct?

Only the one said they wouldn't touch it and given his attitude I still don't understand why he came in the first place. Given I have three different people who said it could be done and all 3 said it could be done by running a SS liner to a transition plate to a Class A its seems reasonable. All were licensed/issured through the state so they aren't guy with truck type off CL people.

My only question was whether or not I needed the added insulation in the existing masonry chimney? It sounds like a good idea both for insulation and structural rigidity reasons. From everything I've read I should have a block off plate with insulation above the stove/insert and you'd need a block off plate to install the thermix correct?

Oh I don't doubt for a minute that you'll find a professional to do it properly. I'm curious to see how it get's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.