Today's work!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
We worked on the ash this morning and got all but four large rounds and several stacks of smaller rounds done. I had to take my daughter to horse back riding so I figured I was done. My wife then asked me if I was going to split some more so I gave my buddy a call and off we went.

We finished a stack of black walnut and silver maple. While we were working in the afternoon the neighbor stopped by and told me to take everything that was done and don't even ask! God has blessed me this weekend.

The afternoon haul:
IMG_7896.jpg

The morning haul:
IMG_7895.jpg

Ash:
IMG_7898.jpg

Black walnut and sliver maple
IMG_7897.jpg

fv

[quote author="fireview2788" date="1306032282"]We worked on the ash this morning and got all but four large rounds and several stacks of smaller rounds done. I had to take my daughter to horse back riding so I figured I was done. My wife then asked me if I was going to split some more so I gave my buddy a call and off we went.

We finished a stack of black walnut and silver maple. While we were working in the afternoon the neighbor stopped by and told me to take everything that was done and don't even ask! God has blessed me this weekend.

The afternoon haul:

Looks like you had a good day for working, nice haul fireview2788.

Zap

Sounds and looks like a great day! Make hay when the sun shines!

It was a great day.

This afternoon my oldest daughter and I got all of the walnut picked off the trailer and stacked but we had to stop because of thunderstorms. On our way back from my oldest's bible study I mentioned that I could get a little bit of stacking done. My wife says that they all could help me so of course I said sure. So my wife, 15 and 12 year old daughters helped me get a couple of loads stacked before it go too dark. My youngest said "This was fun, can we help you tomorrow?" and my wife said that it makes her feel like a pioneer (my wife and I both enjoy the simple things in life) and that she also enjoyed it. It's becoming a great family time adventure.

fv

Good deal . . .

Looking at a pile of ash like that is almost as great as sitting in front of the fire; almost.

fireview2788 said:
It was a great day.

This afternoon my oldest daughter and I got all of the walnut picked off the trailer and stacked but we had to stop because of thunderstorms. On our way back from my oldest's bible study I mentioned that I could get a little bit of stacking done. My wife says that they all could help me so of course I said sure. So my wife, 15 and 12 year old daughters helped me get a couple of loads stacked before it go too dark. My youngest said "This was fun, can we help you tomorrow?" and my wife said that it makes her feel like a pioneer (my wife and I both enjoy the simple things in life) and that she also enjoyed it. It's becoming a great family time adventure.

fv

FV, I hope those feelings stay with them forever. It is great to help put up the wood and don't forget to remind them of that next winter along with the thanks. You are blessed to have this family. btw, my wife and I also enjoy the simple things in life, but most others do not understand it. Sometimes we mention something that has brought us joy and we get some funny looks. Well, that alone is worth a few laughs for us!

You're not kidding backwoods. I can't wait until this winter's first snowfall and I make a nice batch of deer chili on the stove and let it simmer all day. Then the family and I sit around the stove and enjoy.

fv

fireview2788 said:
You're not kidding backwoods. I can't wait until this winter's first snowfall and I make a nice batch of deer chili on the stove and let it simmer all day. Then the family and I sit around the stove and enjoy.

fv

Really? Please let me enjoy a very long spring summer frist! PLEEEEEESE. :cheese:

Yeah, I want that too. I never wish my life away, although fall and winter are my favorites. Deer and duck seasons are a couple of my other passions. However, I do enjoy my softball and summer too.

fv

That looks like some great wood in the trailer! Was some of that standing dead as it look like it may be pretty dry already. Even if that Walnut wasn't standing dead it seasons really quick and burns with some satisfying crackling and popping.

Wood envy here..... :)

The walnut has been down and bucked for a couple of years and bone dry. It's going to be some of my "seasoning" wood for the stove. The rest of it is silver maple that came down in a storm so it's wet and will bunred next year.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.