Todd's New Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I've been a busy boy lately, just about done with the new wood shed, it still needs a little lattice and then the stacking begins. I figure I can get 8 cords in there, it's 26'x 7'. I'll post more pics after everything is stacked and finished.

Attachments

• 100_0665.jpg
    100_0665.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 100_0667.jpg
    100_0667.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,135
very nice! My wood stacks are jealous. They have to stay out in the elements.

Todd that work on your shed matches the quality in your nice looking home. Good work. I can see to the right of the pic that you already have split wood ready to stack in there. Two questions for ya.
1) Are you going to stack it on pallets or something?
2) I see you have 3 SAT dishes on that roof. Is that to get 3-D TV? Had to ask... and I want a serious answer.
N of 60

Excellent Todd.

A most profitable use of your time, I say. Looks very tidy and it's going to make your life a lot easier.

That is nice. Really nice.

I'm curious how you plan to lay up the wood. Will you lean rows against the building or end walls, cross-pile the row ends, or drive in some T-bar posts?

I keep changing my layout, trying to find one that works best. I'm going to try something different this year, using T-bar posts to minimize cross-piled ends.

Very nice Todd...looks like you used some kind of aggregate for the floor. That's what we did too, concrete can be a big expense and if you don't put it in correctly it heaves. imo lean-to are the best bang for the buck wood burners can erect.

Looks great. I'm jealous.

north of 60 said:
Todd that work on your shed matches the quality in your nice looking home. Good work. I can see to the right of the pic that you already have split wood ready to stack in there. Two questions for ya.
2) I see you have 3 SAT dishes on that roof. Is that to get 3-D TV? Had to ask... and I want a serious answer.
N of 60

1 dish is for internet, 1 for local tv channels, and the last one for Direct TV. At least I don't have to worry about my old tarpsgetting loose and blowing up over my dish anymore.

Today I moved in 4 cords, 3 more to go. I should end up with 12 rows, back wall to front opening, 7' tall, with a small space in the middle where the window is.

One problem I ran into, I am reusing my old steel fence posts in front to hold back the wood and they are only 7.5' tall instead of 8' like I first thought, so I couldn't drive them down very far, only a couple inches and I only have a couple inches of support on top where they rest against the header on the 4x4 posts. Some started to bow out some, so I took the pressure off by log cabin style stacking in front. I should of just spent the extra money and burried more 4x4 posts for each row, maybe I'll do that next year.

I still have to paint the wood shed sides to match the house that I also just finished painting. Looks like rain tomorrow, good day to take off and rest, I'm beat. Once it's all done I'll post more pics.

I thought I was going to take a break today, but I just had to finish stacking and get er done.

Attachments

• 100_0669.jpg
    100_0669.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 783
  • 100_0671.jpg
    100_0671.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 759
Sure looks good. I tried laying up my wood just like that one year only spaced a bit closer.

I think looking at neatly stacked firewood is very satisfying, esp. when you've done it yourself. You're gonna love it!

Preused ufO brOKer said:
http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/public/IthacaCampus/ExtOutreach/DiagnosticLab/Factsheets/FirewoodInsects.html

Yeah, I know I'm taking a chance storing firewood next to my garage, but it's the only practical spot on my small lot and I also spray and put out ant traps. Never had a problem so far (knock on wood).

pinewoodburner said:
Looks great.
How did you drive your T bars with the roof on?

They are a little short, so I didn't drive them in very far, only a few inches and the top rests on the header. The first couple rows the bars are a little bowed out, didn't like that, so I started cross stacking to take the pressure off. In the future I think I'll just sink some more 4x4's. Should of done that in the first place.

north of 60 said:
N of 60

Hi, N of 60!

If you look real sharp at the picture, you can see that the 3 sat dishes are all aimed differently so that each dish accesses a different sat to get different chanels of programing.

I reciently switched over from comcast cable at $80.oo month to the dishnetwork.com and now I get the same programing + 5 free channels of cinemax & they threw in a HD digital video recorder at no charge and all for only $40.oo/ month.

only thing is i have this rather large dish ground mounted in the middle of my front yard and it sometimes looses all the video signal during heavy rain storms if the rain is between the dish & the satalite.
But the reception is clearer than cable was , except during rain storms that position themselves between the dish & the satalite. Sometimes it rains and does not effect the sat signal.

anyway,it saves me $480.oo a year , enough to almost pay for a truck load of 20 ft long tree trunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.