Toilet repair gurus.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
OK, newer regular toilet. Slight leak internally, so it refills every 20 minutes or so after losing some of the water in the tank.

No probably with the fill valve. Not hitting overflow. Float works perfectly.

First try was assumption that the flapper was dirty or had something in the way. Cleaned it, reseated, etc. - no fix.

Replaced flapper with premium one. Made sure to clean the surface that it seats against very well. Also cleaned any small grit from the tank to make sure of clean water. No fix.

Looking inside the toilet bowl, I can see a very tiny amount of water feeding in from the top along one of the sides - a tiny rivulet!

Is there anything else it could be? These things are usually pretty simple!

Adjust the float valve, or bend it slightly downward.

Nah, it's not the overflow...... I've adjusted it down anyway, and that does no good. It shuts off properly and then does not turn back on again until the tank loses a couple quarts.

From what I see, there is only one possibility left - that is that the flush valve (not the float, the flush valve which the flapper sits into) is somehow slightly leaking and needs replaced.

The leak is so small that when I shut the water off and fille the tank - it only drains 1/2 way - that is, then the pressure of the water in the tank is too low for it to leak out after it get's lower.

I'm assuming the tank is seperate from the bowl (2 piece)? If so, it's possible that the seal going from the tank to the back of the bowl is faulty and leaking water around your flapper seal perhaps.

pen

Internet sites seemed to say that if the tank to bowl gaskets leak, then water ends up on the floor - not in the bowl. But I think part of the same assembly is a gasket which seats the flush valve into the bottom of the tank......that seems to be the only thing left which is possibly leaking.

Looks like I will have to remove the tank completely and then replace both the flush value gaskets (and maybe the value itself just to make sure) and also the tank to bowl...which I assume should be replaced every time you take it apart. Parts are cheap enough, and I don't want to do it twice!

Exactly, I don't like to replace parts just to do them. I like knowing what is wrong. But in this case I'd say replace both. Not worth the gas for a second trip to the store.

If are removing the tank and there are bolts that go into the tank get new gaskets for those bolts also. I have noticed on the newer tanks the bolts don't go into the tank, but are mounted with a bracket outside of the tank. Try putting vaseline on the shut off "flapper" to see if it stops leaking, just so you know.

If it's only draining 1/2 way with the water off there might be a split in the riser I would look there.

Webmaster said:
...a gasket which seats the flush valve into the bottom of the tank......that seems to be the only thing left which is possibly leaking...
You may be able to remove the tank bolt nuts and elevate the tank enough to reach the two inch nut found on the nipple at the bottom of the flush valve seat. If that is loose, you have found the problem.

You said that it was newer, does it have a float bulb on a arm? If so I would go with the newer style. I always had problems with the old style. But it sounds like your flapper is not sealing properly for one reason or another.

Gary

Sometimes flappers can be be misshapen by sitting in the package at the store and not sit flush on the seat. The arms that clip onto the overflow tube get bent, causing improper seating. Other times you need the exact replacement flapper to seat properly. A dye tab in the tank can reveal if your flapper is leaking causing the rivulet to be the dye color running into the tank. You could probably substitute dye with cranberry juice or fruit punch in the tank. Getting the right flapper is half the battle.

Is the little black hose that fills the bowl through the overflow pipe lower than the water level in the tank? If so, it will siphon water from the tank to the bowl. DAMHIK
Lower the water level or get the correct clip that holds the end of the hose higher than the tank water level.

Adding dye will verify the flush valve only.

If this is an American Standard toilet use only factory genuine parts or replace the whole toilet.

If you shut the water off and it drains to 1/2 tank - then there is your leak --- If the leak is at the bottom, the difference in static pressure between a full and 1/2 full tank is too low to have a pressure leak.

Pull the tank and do a rebuild - around $10 for the kit is less than the time you waste looking for the problem

Well! I'm having the same problem here! Craig - post your 'Success Story' so others may learn.

PS I've replaced the flapper twice w/no certified 'fix'.

I've got a 1 piece American Standard that leaks past the flush valve. I tried everything except replacing the whole valve. New flappers don't help and parts aren't available off the shelf at the local HW store, HD or Lowes. Anything more than the flapper and it's got to be OEM I guess. The wife told me to give up cause she wants to reno the bathroom this year anyways. lol. So much for a cheap fix. %-P

Shari said:
Well! I'm having the same problem here! Craig - post your 'Success Story' so others may learn.

PS I've replaced the flapper twice w/no certified 'fix'.

OK, fixed it.
Occams Razor!
"Occams Razor is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct. "

Before I did the ultimate surgery, I read some more stuff online. One thread mentioned to look closely at the overflow tube and it's position inside the overflow pipe. I did this and discovered that it was not clipped properly to the side of the pipe, and therefore was too far down within the tube.

I put it into the right position and now it is fixed. I didn't tell the wifey how I fixed it, just strutted around and told her it was good to go.

So, there you go!

Webmaster said:
. I didn't tell the wifey how I fixed it, just strutted around and told her it was good to go.

I am familiar with that "strut" you are referring to....as well as the lack of information as to how it was fixed....
I usually hear "No biggie...it's fixed"....
Martha probably knew how to fix it but "let" you do it.... :coolsmile:
You buggerz.... :lol:

kettensäge said:
Is the little black hose that fills the bowl through the overflow pipe lower than the water level in the tank? If so, it will siphon water from the tank to the bowl. DAMHIK
You got it.......

I obviously overlooked such a simple thing - mostly because it worked for 3+ years and I certainly didn't mess with that tube! But it was probably in the wrong place from day one and then wiggled itself further down.

Good call.

Webmaster said:
kettensäge said:
You got it.......

I obviously overlooked such a simple thing - mostly because it worked for 3+ years and I certainly didn't mess with that tube! But it was probably in the wrong place from day one and then wiggled itself further down.

Good call.

Hmmm.... I put a little extension on this tube because it kept popping out of place. I just went in there and cut my extension a little shorter.... added dye to the tank... will post back results.

Okay = success here! I put some dye in the tank, waited a bit, went back to look, had dye in the bowl. Okay..... then Iclipped off a little bit of the extension I had put on the filler line, added dye to the tank again - waited about 45 minutes - no dye in the bowl, no 'mini-flushes'. :) Thanks for the tip!

Jill-of-all-trades around here,

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.