Too freaking hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
That pile of wood I brought home last week is still sitting in the yard. We've hit the mid 90s everyday this week and I just don't feel like stacking it before going to work and dealing with the heat there too. I get my run in early but that's it. I've got wood to cut and split for a friend so I sure hope this weather breaks soon. I didn't need it to skip over the weeks of temps in the 70s and 80s to head straight into the 90s.

How do you guys cope with this heat while cutting and splitting?

fv

Last year I needed to get a large ash tree off CL before anybody else did, so I dealt with 90+ temps to get that beast cut up and home. It was no fun esp the evening I forgot to bring my large water bottle with me! If I don't have to cut/split in heat....I don't! There is probably at last a cord of unsplit wood sitting for me that will wait until temps subside...hopefully this weekend.

Swimming pool . . . at the end of the day.

Water . . . lots of water . . . to drink during the day.

fireview2788 said:
That pile of wood I brought home last week is still sitting in the yard. We've hit the mid 90s everyday this week and I just don't feel like stacking it before going to work and dealing with the heat there too. I get my run in early but that's it. I've got wood to cut and split for a friend so I sure hope this weather breaks soon. I didn't need it to skip over the weeks of temps in the 70s and 80s to head straight into the 90s.

fv

Plenty of water and shorter days cutting & stacking. Last year when I cut during the summer the days started early and ended early if it was real hot out.

We have enough area that was shaded.... with trees down.... that on the hotter days I would work in those areas. Seemed like any temps over 85 last year was a day off from cutting.

GIBIR

I work construction so am used to the heat & humidity.Dont mean I like it though,especially with getting older.Its been 92-97 here all week,finally cooled off overnight & thunderstorms moved in.No rain for 11 days,its welcome now.1 1/4" rain since last night & we had a short burst of pea-marble sized hail in the past hour,already down to 59 degrees with light rain still falling.I like to wait until a cooler day in mid-upper 70's max before getting back to processing wood.Plan to do some more tommorow if its not still raining.Once it starts staying hot in a few weeks,I take a break from working in the woods until early September,unless there's sudden storm damage that needs cleaned up.

I like the HEAT! Thats why I burn wood could afford mid 70's and low 80's any other way...... :coolsmile:

I ended-up doing nearly all my 11/12 wood last summer, mostly in August. It was friggin' hot, but 95 deg is much tougher for me in June than in August when I'm accustomed to it.

The weather is rarely perfect so you just gotta deal with it if you want to get anything done. Drink water all day, not just while working, take breaks.... How about trading a few runs each week for an hour of hard splitting in the morning? You can get the heart rate up if you keep moving quickly.
You might be surpirised how much you can get done just pecking away for a half-hour each day.

Training for another 1/2 marathon so giving up my runs is not an option. I will cut and split on my non-run days.

fv

This past winter was way to cold for this old boy. Spring was continual rain. Then straight into 95 °F days. Can't wait any longer. So I start the saw at 7:00am and quit about 10:30am/85 °F. Everything CSS each day. That and half gallon of ice water works for me. Then I get on hearth.com and look at some of the beautiful woodlots you guys have developed and get fired up for one more day.

fireview2788 said:

fv

Wear light colored clothing, drink plenty of water (just water...not gatorade or any other stuff) and pace yourself. I split by hand for about an hour on Tuesday and again on Wednesday. Stacked most of what I split and felt great. Sweaty yes, so I washed in cold water and drank a couple bottles of water along the way.

I dunno, maybe because I spent 7 years landscaping in this sort of weather, but while its hot, this really doesn't bother me to work outside in this weather. Its been 16 years since I did that for a living, but it still feels good to get out and work up a good hot sweat.

Get a couple years ahead then you can pick the days and times to work. From Memorial Day to Labor Day I do very little "wood work". If a score pops up that is to good to pass on I will grab it, otherwise it waits for cooler weather.

I have been trying to get as far ahead as I can. I went out early Sunday morning, and cut down a good sized red maple that the top blew out of. By the time I got it bucked up, and moved to where I could load it, I was so dang hot I called it a day. The wind is blowing a little bit today so my plan is to go grab it up after work this evening. I always ask myself why I don't cut wood through the winter since its much easier to get warm compared to cooling off !!

Redmaple.jpg

If I could only have my central AC run off all the wood I have in the yard I wood be a very happy man. I am a winter guy, this is killing me. Let's just hope there is about 80-90 days to go of this crap.

I do have about 2 cords to stack and 2 to buck and split, after today temps look a lot more favorable. I am about 4 years ahead so, whatever and whenever.

KC

I finished last week. All my wood is out cooking in the sun and 90 °F + heat now. My yard stunk of Black Locust last night from all the drying going on all day.

fireview2788 said:

fv
It has been kind of warm hasn't it? Go slow.

Hell I was burning earlier in the week to get the chill out of the house. They are talking it may warm up and we may hit the low 70's again this weekend.

I was splitting wood in February, which is my preferred time of year. But this past February, the day I was splitting it was 95 degrees out there! It didn't stay that hot but it got warm really quickly in mid Spring and has stayed there. 102 today. It's been over a 100 for several straight days and well into the 90s every day for a month or more. I got behind in my winter wood work due to a broken ankle in mid October, so I've been cutting in this heat.
I pace myself. Drink plenty of water. Sit in the shade to take a break fairly often. And just flat out quit when I get so tired that it becomes unsafe to continue to work with a chain saw. Sometimes it's better in the late afternoon. The temp may still be hotter but if the work area is in the shade and there is a good breeze, it's not too bad.

On really hot days I start at dawn and quit about 11 am drink lots of water. I work the same way roofing in this heat.

I personally start in the fall of the year and split till spring sets in. I will NOT start a saw in the warm months unless its a must. I even run my 066 out of gas and let the tank dry out so it can be storeed safely inside. I have a solid 5 hours of lawn work and about a 1/4 acre of food growing (beans corn and taters) that I put away ever year for the following winter that I spread out during the week right now so that I have the entire weekend off to be with my little girls. Keep in mind that the start of summer is over a week away.

fireview2788 said:

fv

I cope with the heat by going on a bike ride. Can't do the running thing so I ride bike.

Also for coping, I cut wood during the winter months, split as soon as the snow melts and then stack. I hate doing wood in the summer months. I also hate to be spending all that time slapping instead of splitting.... There there are the black flies, bees, hornets and other little things trying to get to you. Nope, putting up wood is still best done after leaf drop and before they form again.

Good luck on the run! Keep training.

I think I'll go find some pine to cut up today and tomorrow. :-S
Here's a couple of snips from our south Alabama area NOAA forecast...

"455 AM CST MON JUN 13 2011...

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT...

HEAT INDICES WILL CLIMB INTO THE 101 TO 107 DEGREE FAHRENHEIT RANGE
THIS AFTERNOON REGIONWIDE...

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

THE HEAT WILL EVEN BE A BIGGER STORY ON TUESDAY AS HEAT INDICES ON
TUESDAY CLIMB TO BETWEEN 105-109 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT..."

I wish I had time to cut this week but I simply don't. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s, it would be great!

107F, dang that's even too hot for snakes.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.